Keeping Stagger

I keep my tires at the same air pressure I would run them at when they sit in the shop at a consistant 65 degrees until the next race. I cant get the tires to keep the stagger. I just size my tires the past 2 races before I went to the races. Is there a way to keep stagger in your tires where you dont have to do much of shrinking or growing of the tire? Or do you just have to resize tires before a race every week?

I keep my tires at the same air pressure I would run them at when they sit in the shop at a consistant 65 degrees until the next race. I cant get the tires to keep the stagger. I just size my tires the past 2 races before I went to the races. Is there a way to keep stagger in your tires where you dont have to do much of shrinking or growing of the tire? Or do you just have to resize tires before a race every week?
Personally, lefts get emptied, rights get 20 to 30psi. Anything over 30 will start to really stretch them out. Especially cobras.

I blow my right sides up to 34 3/8 I'm normally 34- 34 1/16 when at the track I do put air in them (over 10psi) at the track just to be safe. Now left sides I leave air in the LF mine always seem to shrink. Then I dump all the air out of the LR. Not saying this is perfect but it's how I do things.

What you need to do with individual tire size to include stagger, depends on if the track goes from slick to grip, grip to slick or stays the same and you just need some fine tuning.

Back to the subject of from week to week weather you store with air in or out is something I have not seen on here before and is very enlightening.
Again within the subject it would be about what each tire does between race days and weeks.
My son always explained to me he's friends with and on a first name basis with each and every one of our tires. ... :)
And I noticed he'd never go to any race without all of his friends. ... :)

I blow my right sides up to 34 3/8 I'm normally 34- 34 1/16 when at the track I do put air in them (over 10psi) at the track just to be safe. Now left sides I leave air in the LF mine always seem to shrink. Then I dump all the air out of the LR. Not saying this is perfect but it's how I do things.
Same as above

I always did it essentially like post #2 - only difference is I left 1 or 2 psi in the left sides, and never had any trouble with tires changing size.

This also depends on the brand of tire.
Some tires stay to size rather well when stored from week to week at race pressures.
Others end up all over the place.

Bottom line is whatever method works for you, keep doing it, and stay on top of your tire sizes.
We would typically "size" our tires on Monday when we pull maintenance on the cars from the weekend.
We would then check/resize them all again at race pressures a day before we race, and then check/size again when we get to the track.
It's a constant battle with some brands, others not so much.

An awful lot depends on the initial size that a tire beaded out at too.
Be careful to mount them to size correctly to start with, and the battle to keep them to size is kept much more manageable.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
32 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Back