Keeping Tires Ready Over Long Break

jaymancds

I had already rolled my tires, and had prepped two sets to within 5 points of where I wanted them to be. Now with this "postponed" season start, I'm wondering how I can keep from having to start over with the rolling process. A trusted racing buddy told me to do one of two things. 1. Wipe conditioner twice a week or 2. Get them low (low 40s) and then wrap them in cling wrap where they are "air tight". I am trying #2 as it seems more cost effective.

Are either of these viable options for say racing starting in May? Should I just accept that I will need to start over whenever we get the green light? I'm a total newb with a tight racing budget and I'm trying not to spend when I don't need to be.

I like option number 2, but I wouldn't try to kill your tires before cling wrapping them. I would just put a good coat of your desired prep on them and cling wrap. I wouldn't touch them again until 2 weeks before your next scheduled race. jmo.

I had already rolled my tires, and had prepped two sets to within 5 points of where I wanted them to be. Now with this "postponed" season start, I'm wondering how I can keep from having to start over with the rolling process. A trusted racing buddy told me to do one of two things. 1. Wipe conditioner twice a week or 2. Get them low (low 40s) and then wrap them in cling wrap where they are "air tight". I am trying #2 as it seems more cost effective.

Are either of these viable options for say racing starting in May? Should I just accept that I will need to start over whenever we get the green light? I'm a total newb with a tight racing budget and I'm trying not to spend when I don't need to be.
Which tire ? What are you wiping outside with, aggressive ? Medium ? Hard track ?

I like option number 2, but I wouldn't try to kill your tires before cling wrapping them. I would just put a good coat of your desired prep on them and cling wrap. I wouldn't touch them again until 2 weeks before your next scheduled race. jmo.
That's what I was thinking, but he said to get them low so that I wouldn't have to work them a lot in case we get a week's notice for racing.

Maxxis I had been wiping aggressive to get them where I wanted. Rolled with hard track.
I,d leave them where there at now, no wrap, wipe them once or twice a week with 1 coat of hard track, wait and see what weather is like week before your gonna race as depending how long could be big difference on what's needed then VS now, you can always put more in them, but you can't take it out.

Does the track always require aggressive prep ?
Early in the season yes, later in the year it goes to more of a medium than aggressive.

Where exactly is hard track in the aggressiveness scale? Is it very little or very aggressive?

I got them down into the mid 40s and then went a week just conditioning, then wrapped them. When wrapped they were all between 42-45 duro.

Early in the season yes, later in the year it goes to more of a medium than aggressive.

Where exactly is hard track in the aggressiveness scale? Is it very little or very aggressive?

I got them down into the mid 40s and then went a week just conditioning, then wrapped them. When wrapped they were all between 42-45 duro.
Hard track is the least aggressive you can get. When you said you rolled them in hard track, you meant outside or inside ? And you did mean an hard track outside prep not an internal prep ?

Hard track is the least aggressive you can get. When you said you rolled them in hard track, you meant outside or inside ? And you did mean an hard track outside prep not an internal prep ?
Internal rolled Insanity Speed Hard Track (blue). Used Insanity Purple, and some Goat P to get down to the mid 40s, then Insanity Yellow to condition.

Plan for the wiping was to use purple or Goat P for April and early May, then a mix of purple and green for late May through mid June, then just green or green/purple until the end of the season. I had planned to re-roll internally with Hard track at the half season point in June/July.

That was unless we found something that the kart liked, then just stick with that.

Internal rolled Insanity Speed Hard Track (blue). Used Insanity Purple, and some Goat P to get down to the mid 40s, then Insanity Yellow to condition.

Plan for the wiping was to use purple or Goat P for April and early May, then a mix of purple and green for late May through mid June, then just green or green/purple until the end of the season. I had planned to re-roll internally with Hard track at the half season point in June/July.

That was unless we found something that the kart liked, then just stick with that.
What your calling purple, wet track ?
What your calling green, aggressive outside
Your using yellow crush as a conditioner ?

How did you come up with your approach what you've done so far.
Talked to Donnie ? Someone else doing it getting good results ? Just winging it ?

How did you come up with your approach what you've done so far.
Talked to Donnie ? Someone else doing it getting good results ? Just winging it ?
This was what I was told from a friend who has won the track championship in predator heavy for the last 3 years. He said that's what he would most likely do until I find what works the best.

I believe it was 50cc in the rights, 40cc in the LR, and 30cc in the LF. All were rolled for 24hrs.

What class are you racing ?
Needing a tire that soft and only adding 50 cc makes no sense.
Describe normal racing track conditions ?
Afternoon into night racing or day racing ?

What class are you racing ?
Needing a tire that soft and only adding 50 cc makes no sense.
Describe normal racing track conditions ?
Afternoon into night racing or day racing ?
Predator Heavy (400#)
Tires are used just to add that detail. Always had Insanity preps on them.

Normal track from the few times I was there as a pit help/spectator starts wet and heavy for hot laps, no qualifying, by heats the surface is usually 1.5 to 2 grooves wide and turns black. I cant tell you if its rubber down or just excess prep I just don't know. The track normally stays packed pretty well. Its a red clay surface. Most guys I've talked to try to stay around 45 duro to start with.

Afternoon in the night, usually start around 4 or 5 and end between 9 or 10.

I believe its 5 laps for hot laps/ 8 lap heat/ 10 lap B features/ and 20 or 25 lap A features.

Back