Key way damage

• Thread starter Deleted member 21174
  • Start date
We run a lot of modified Predators type motors- stock appearings and small block open stuff. The higher horsepower stuff is really hard on the PTO side of the crank and key. Before reinstalling the clutches, we take emery cloth to the cranks to smooth the edges of the keyway. They tend to get a bit out of round. We do not reuse crank keys, always use new ones. We have had problems with Bully clutch hubs splitting along the keyway so we don't use Bullys if we can avoid it, we are using more and more Gator style clutches. It's sort of a 'chicken or the egg' question as to what's causing the problems. I tend to believe its the poor quality of metals used in these cranks. Anybody have ideas?

No end play with a 206. Clutch should over hang the end of the crank slightly maybe.050. A lot of over hang could cause the bearing race to bulge. Also with a stinger make sure the keyway in the cartridge is aligned with the drive hub. The stinger used an extra tall key. The crankshaft keyway can be straightened up with a file if needed.

This is a Box Stock Predator. In the instructions it says secure clutch to crank. Doesn't say anything about end play. Some people say end play some say no end play some say it Doesn't make a difference.
I am going to have to work on the crank. I can't get the clutch back on.

You do want end play. I have been adding an extra washer to the crank bolt to get more end play and I haven't had any chain problems since doing it. None.

Why on the 206 thread to find info about a predator? The advice I gave was for a 206 per Briggs and my own experience.

Pretty sure the clutch doesn't care what its bolted to. Works the same on either engine.
hhhmmmmmm well check these out
Check the top of page 3 on this one
https://www.hilliardextremeduty.com/media/8444-7f-019.pdf
Stinger has similar recommendations. I understand with many different engines it can get confusing but the briggs crankshaft is soft. You are correct other engines require end play but being a 206 thread I thought that's what we were talking about

FWIW, and to throw another curveball into the discussion, I don't run end play with the 206, Predator, or clone when using a drum clutch. With a disc clutch on an animal we've always run endplay and never had a problem. I've seen plenty of 206 cranks damaged over the years, none to the point that they weren't usable. So, is the clutch the issue, or the crank?

Back