KF1 vs KF2 engines

I'm getting an IAME Parilla Reedster KF1 and KF2 engine in a buy out. Not familiar with them at all. What is the difference between the two? Does anyone have experience with reliability and power of these engines?

KF1 is the most powerful of the series. Still extremely restricted by our definitions but it can be worked over into a monster no problem I don’t know if it has a rev limiter however. It is also the only motor in the series that is 3 port. KF2-4 are two port engines.

What modifications would you recommend? These will be used for enduro road races. Reliability is the thing in this series.

Rev limiter at 15K rpm

What modifications would you recommend? These will be used for enduro road races. Reliability is the thing in this series.

Rev limiter at 15K rpm
Im not familiar with enduro racing, but if it’s an open 125cc class I’d just go with some porting, timing and compression. Alcohol would be ideal but I can’t imagine the size of the tank needed to make that work in a 30-45 minute race.

I'd be inclined to leave the engine mostly stock (possibly change the carb to run methanol, as mentioned), and just work on pipe, gearing and clutch. Those engines are very "dialed" just as they come -- yes, maybe not the "most ideal" for enduro racing, but I'd personally leave the engine as the factory set it up and work on everything else.

That's my opinion -- and if you add a few dollars to my opinion, you might get a coffee at Starbucks. LOL!

PM

I'd be inclined to leave the engine mostly stock (possibly change the carb to run methanol, as mentioned), and just work on pipe, gearing and clutch. Those engines are very "dialed" just as they come -- yes, maybe not the "most ideal" for enduro racing, but I'd personally leave the engine as the factory set it up and work on everything else.

That's my opinion -- and if you add a few dollars to my opinion, you might get a coffee at Starbucks. LOL!

PM
Thank Pete,
My thoughts are to leave the engines stock and keep away from Starbucks.

What do we know about the difference between the KF1 and KF2? Share your wisdom!

I think the KF1 has maybe around 5hp more and 1000 rpm higher limiter than the KF2. Either one of them will be an impressive ride!

I've personally never seen inside either model. Maybe Haddock will jump in there and provide specifics.

PM

We ran a Maxter XF2 in road racing for a while, Grattan and Gingerman I think. It made the TaGs look like they were standing still. Driver barely had time to even catch a draft off them. CIK bodywork too. Naturally with a power valve they behave somewhat like a Rotax, lots of midrange power. Bottom and top end not so much.

From what I remember the KF1 and KF2 are mechanically identical, the difference was rev limit (15K KF2, 16K KF1) and larger carb on KF1 at 30mm vs 24mm for KF2.

KF in general was not known for reliability, one of it's downfalls..... So I'd run a KF1 spec but keep the RPMs below 15k.

For road racing, biggest problem we had was clutches burning up because they were never intended to deal with gearing as tall as we run.

More detail, the CDI\ignition boxes were different colors between KF1 and KF2. Green was the 15,000 rev limit for KF2 and red for KF1 at 16,000. One of those with an axle clutch in a laydown kart would be a rocket I bet. The lack of bottom end definitely hurt lap times, one of those deals where the RPM drop almost feels like the plug lead has been pulled off. The alternative is to just let it sit on the limiter for a while, too long though and the reeds started to crack.. at least on the XF2.

IMG_20210201_160100666.jpg

My set up is for sale, never ran it, but this was the direction I was headed with my twin "Dragon" set up.

More detail, the CDI\ignition boxes were different colors between KF1 and KF2. Green was the 15,000 rev limit for KF2 and red for KF1 at 16,000. One of those with an axle clutch in a laydown kart would be a rocket I bet. The lack of bottom end definitely hurt lap times, one of those deals where the RPM drop almost feels like the plug lead has been pulled off. The alternative is to just let it sit on the limiter for a while, too long though and the reeds started to crack.. at least on the XF2.
Thanks RF. The few that do run enduro road race in my area have switched to the axle clutch. The high gears we use tend to destroy the stock clutch in about 3 race weekends.

Back