Kid kart class vs JR 1 karts

NewComer50

Have a couple of questions (new to sport as my username shows). Bought my son a used briel b25 kid kart with a comer 50. The closest track to us is a oval dirt track (would rather run ashpalt). But all asphalt tracks are over 2.5 hours away. At The track we run we are the only comer and 2 cycle. They are runing jr 1 karts with us. Most kids are 5-10 and new to sport. (They do run a JR1 class with kid from 10-15.

My questions are is this normal and if so. What color restrictor plate should they be running. I have heard This track is running blue, green and purple. From what I have read. Looks like they should be running a red plate.

Our kart does well finishing in top 3 each month. But the kart in first every month is lapping is and the rest of the pack. (Not sure of the plate because they never check this class. Only thing they check is weight. Which is killer. Had to add 30 pounds of lead to meet a 165 weight limit. Because those jr1 karts weigh over 200. But I would guess my 2 cycle motor is putting out a 3rd of the horse power of a 4 strokes!

Trying to make sure we are in a fair playing field.

Any input and advice will be great and thanks in advance!

No not normal first Kid Karts are the smaller chassis with the Comer 50 are meant for 5,6,7 yr old's ( now there to fast for that age but that's a whole other debate ) usually No Min weight, IF a weight is listed usually 125 lb NEVER seen it over 150 lb, And they are USUALLY NEVER mixed with JR 1, maybe a few local points tracks that get 1 of each The Jr 1 driver is not up to speed yet, they mix them and score separate.

True JR 1 class is ages 7 to 10 yrs, Purple plate Flathead OR Purple plate Animal, At Avg min weight of 250 lb, I've seen it from 240 lb to 265 lb.
For Clone motor class at that age group OR if mixed in with the engines above it would be Green plate.

Blue Plate classes Jr 2 would be ages 10 to 12 yrs, Blue plate Flathead OR Blue plate Animal At Avg weight of 275 lb min, For Clone motor at same age group OR if mixed in with engines above it would be Purple plate.

There is a Gold Plate Class for Ages 12 to 15 Avg weight 310lb min. Again Some local points program tracks based on low kart count per class might mix JR 1 & Jr 2 but score separate. There is also a Red Plate clone class for 5,6,7 yr old.

It is way out of Normal to mix Kids Kart with Jr 1 & to have a Jr 1 class for 10 to 15 yr old's, especially with such a low min weight for them but high for you, THERE Intent may be all good and well having all new comers with low counts in each class SO they create these other classes, BUT even so they should put higher min weight's based on older kids and bigger plate engines, PLUS should monitor the younger class 1 or a few will excel at a much greater pace and start winning ever week and at some point should be separated from that class and moved out to the other class.

Other Tracks I've seen try something similar have Separated JR 1 one for NOVICE one for rest, but even then it's the same color plate, and closer age group 7 to 10 even IF you would go to 12 big difference than up to 15.

Good Luck !!

My experience and that of many others with the Comer engine has been bad!
It's temperamental, hard to tune, expensive to maintain, expensive to rebuild, and some people spend exorbitant amount of money to make it competitive.
The simple solution to all of that is to put a Briggs LO 206 jr motor on it.
It's made just for the Kid Kart class.
It's just the opposite of all the negative things i just listed.
It can also be inexpensively updated to move up to the next class as he gets older.
The only people that use the Comer engine at the local track are the ones that didn't know better when they bought their first kart or got the complete kart Very cheaply.
Virtually everyone that comes back for their second year of racing comes back with a Briggs engine on their Kid Kart.
http://www.fastermotors.net/LO206JUNIOR.html

I'll be happy to answer any questions you might have if you like.
920-207-9180

the comer doesn't run a restrictor plate per say but rather a pill that closes up the inlet bore of the carb. most tracks have you run them others don't. we ran or comer for 2 seasons and won two track championships with it with nothing more than plug and filter changes. those little motors make it all about being smooth and keeping up momentum.

That's great
I have several customers that have LO 206 engines that are going into their 9th season and they still have the OEM Briggs seal on them.

So we are getting screwed by adding the weight. If I take the weights off it weighs about 137-145 with my son in it. I don’t mind him running in a class with bigger chassis and beginner drivers. But I want us to be competitive, running this class has major down falls. 2 months ago my son spun out and a driver first time behind the wheel. Slammed into my so (was in the straight away when my son was in middle of turn 3 & 4 at the bottom (stuck up against a tire). New driver goes low never lets off or attempts to go high or stop. Bent the frame, wheel and busted the tie rod arms.

So that being said. It’s a risk having him in a small kart with bigger ones. But I just need to know before I present a debate to the track. What plates or mufflers or any other restrictions to make it a true kid kart class. Getting beat every month against a kart that has twice as much torque and horsepower is just not cutting it. And I know about the Briggs motor and class. NO ONE at this track runs them so I would be in same position but shoe one another foot if we spank them with that motor. I’m sure they will just add weight or restrictions on us. Add totally new to sport with 3 comer motors. So unless I can sell them. Can’t afford to dump $900 on a Briggs 206.

Again thanks for the input guys!!

you really only have two choices run what you have or buy something different.
the track likely won't change the rule package for you.

First thing to research is what organization's rules they follow . if any .

Racing promotor. The track we race. Is dirt. They run all jr karts in one class. And a kid kart class. Believe the jr class is running the purple plate. And in the kid kart class running a green.
The jr class. No matter age. All scored together. And kid kart class. All points scored together no matter motor or chassis size.

But if I am understanding you the kid kart class the 4 strokes with a 5-7 year old should be running a red plate. But I know a couple of drivers are totally new and older. Fine with them in the class. But they too should be running a red as well? Or is there not much difference from a red to green?? If that is correct I will be bringing this up next month.

Thanks

Don't know what track your racing at , but sounds to me like they are a non sanctioned rules track , and are begging for a law suite and to get a kid hurt . The younger kids that race comers or 79cc predator should be in a group together and then the other plates should be red , green , purple , blue , some tracks drop the purple and run them in blue plate . Sounds like they only get a couple of karts in each class , so they run them all together as to get threw their night of racing faster . That promoter is , IMO , just out to make a fast buck , and not interested in karting safely or promoting the sport . Ask the track promoter what sanctioning body of rules they are following , and get a rule book from that sanctioning body . The more you know about the rules , the better you will be . If you have any questions , you can send me a pm from here on Bob's

Couple questions : were you running your kart and the only entry for Comer 50 and requested If you could run in with the other class ?
Or was this class already set - up mixing them ? The Min weight for ALL in the class is 165 lb OR they just made your weight 165 lb ?

And depending on what part of the country you are racing , you should invest on an engine that is predominately ran in your area . Be it a Clone , Flathead , L206 or whatever . Clone engines are what are mostly ran across the country at the moment . The most important thing is , to have fun with your kids and to not get discouraged . There are several people here on Bob's that can and will answer your questions .

Racing promotor. The track we race. Is dirt. They run all jr karts in one class. And a kid kart class. Believe the jr class is running the purple plate. And in the kid kart class running a green.
The jr class. No matter age. All scored together. And kid kart class. All points scored together no matter motor or chassis size.

But if I am understanding you the kid kart class the 4 strokes with a 5-7 year old should be running a red plate. But I know a couple of drivers are totally new and older. Fine with them in the class. But they too should be running a red as well? Or is there not much difference from a red to green?? If that is correct I will be bringing this up next month.

Thanks

No I just pointed out for Clone motor there is a red plate class for same age group, Still not a good mix, yes BIG difference from red plate to green plate.
The ONLY thing they should even consider mixing with the Comer 50 would be ( as just pointed out ) 79 cc predator, and that's with same chassis as your on, that chassis is big part of a true kids kart class because of smaller size, they just choose to use Comer 50 ( which I feel was a poor choice ) but that's what we got, until last few years the 79 cc predator came to play.

Some tracks choose to offer the Red Plate Clone in place of Kids Kart class, same age group but full size chassis.

I guess I worded my question a little off. They do run a jr 1 class but it’s a mix of 10-15 kids in a jr kart chassis. But they have issues every month of what plate everybody runs.

They offer a kid kart class. First month. Only kart to show up
Second month we are one of 3. But other two jr chassis and motor with 7 year old n 10 year old. 7 year old first time.

3 month one of 6. Only 2 cycle again. Another dad said they are running red plate. But kart lapped every kart on the track.

Month 4. One of six. But this time one other 2 cycle. Last race for him because he was running a JR1 kart as well. We spun out in turn 3 and got slammed into. Bent frame and wheel broke tie rod arms. Not a good night!

Month 5. Only 2 cycle and same results as month 3

Last night. Got new tires and prepped them. Making huge improvements. But one kart with a 6 year old. Just flys around the track. My sons kid kart can catch him in the corners but the straight always it’s like watching a yugo vs a corvette. Kids kart lapped every kart including us. Not sure what plate it’s running but can’t imagine it’s a red one and pretty sure it’s running a clone 196cc not a 79cc. If I can figure out how to add pictures or videos I will.

I’m proud my son is able to put drive the majority of the pack with a slower kart. But I know he is struggling with getting lapped when he is doing his best.

Add to add the jr karts in the kid kart class are all young guys and gals. And realize they run them in kid kart because they are grouping jr 1 jr 2 jr 3 in the jr class. But if they are going to run in kid kart. Feel the playing field needs to be more even. A track north of me runs kid karts. 2 cycle only. On asphalt.which sounds great But it’s a 2.5 hour ride one way. And starts at 8am on sundays.

So just want to make sure before I approach the track officials. I have true kart information. And they might tell me too bad too sad. But if I can make sure it’s 48cc to 79cc karts. And all some what even. I’m good with that. But to be racing a full on JR1 kart with a purple plate. The kids going to win every month till he moves up or has a technical issue.

Thanks again. Hope I clarified some of the questions on your guys side.

- - - Updated - - -

GClary running in sw Florida

Racing Promotor they already mixed the class prior to us showing up. There was another kid who was running identical kart but only raced him one time because he moved up. But that was the night we got slammed into bending our frame and so on

Talk to your local track owner about starting at squirt class. Ages 5-8 and use the 79cc harbor freight predator motor. They are plenty cheap enough and will let you get started in a bigger chassis. I loved the comer class when we ran it but getting him in a full-size kart and at a speed their minds can compute will help a lot towards making good clean kart drivers.

Last year at the end of the season they threw the squirt karts out with the comers, it was no contest. There are some stupid fast comers at our track and these kids are fearless.... it’s kinda a puckerfest from a parents point of view.

Other reason I wanted to stay with comer for a couple years. Have a four year old that will out due big bro when ever he can. So I am waiting to get him in a similar kart so they could race each other but also help each other as well.

Attachments

• 6B9D36D5-EF2E-4209-9EB3-053F530D8DCB.jpg
    6B9D36D5-EF2E-4209-9EB3-053F530D8DCB.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 40
Back