Kids need to be using Racievers

I do not know but my friends racing Late models and Vintage do have spotters..
We race late models, and we follow a couple large series and we don't have radios
Even at Bristol no radios

Attachments

• 20210320_222854.jpg
    20210320_222854.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 9
Unpopular opinion: if your kid isn't mature enough to pay attention to flag people, they don't need to be driving on track, let alone racing.
Actually, let me fix that -- if any DRIVER. I've served as a head flagger and a backstretch flagger and a corner marshall. We all had radios, no kart did. For lineups, they knew to drive slowly in same order they were when caution flew, and we held a massive white board from the flagger's stand with the lineup. You looked for your number, and lined up accordingly. Worked universally, without 5000 yellow laps. But the karts MUST be told and REQUIRED (via black flag or put scratch) to drive slowly under caution, and pay attention. Drivers rise or fall to the level of expectation that the track sets. This includes tech, pit behavior, general environment, etc. I can only see radios being of benefit if used sparingly and with VERY direct commentary. And I certainly don't see them as necessary. Also, we were racing for points, not money. IMO, racing for any kind of money has hurt karting far more than helped. It overly weights the competition aspect instead of the enjoyment aspect, and we all know we're losing money doing it anyway. Get rid of purses and lower entry fees and make it friendly competition again, and I wager you'd see some focus return to proper behavior again too... (Again, another unpopular opinion, I'm sure.)

Unpopular opinion: if your kid isn't mature enough to pay attention to flag people, they don't need to be driving on track, let alone racing.
Actually, let me fix that -- if any DRIVER. I've served as a head flagger and a backstretch flagger and a corner marshall. We all had radios, no kart did. For lineups, they knew to drive slowly in same order they were when caution flew, and we held a massive white board from the flagger's stand with the lineup. You looked for your number, and lined up accordingly. Worked universally, without 5000 yellow laps. But the karts MUST be told and REQUIRED (via black flag or put scratch) to drive slowly under caution, and pay attention. Drivers rise or fall to the level of expectation that the track sets. This includes tech, pit behavior, general environment, etc. I can only see radios being of benefit if used sparingly and with VERY direct commentary. And I certainly don't see them as necessary. Also, we were racing for points, not money. IMO, racing for any kind of money has hurt karting far more than helped. It overly weights the competition aspect instead of the enjoyment aspect, and we all know we're losing money doing it anyway. Get rid of purses and lower entry fees and make it friendly competition again, and I wager you'd see some focus return to proper behavior again too... (Again, another unpopular opinion, I'm sure.)
No upopular to me. At least fair.

Back