KT 100 piston Quality

Skeet

I have a KT100 that needs a new piston and ring. It is 52.10mm and it mics out to 2.052inches, what is a good brand of replacement piston. I have seen the Burris, and Yamaha, also some called KSI.
Thanks Skeet

Thanks for the info--pics. looked good as does the Burris, but those can be deceptive. What about the gold ring, do you really need that to get a good seal.

The Gold Ring will have a longer lasting seal.

You'll also need to have the piston skirt shortened to get the maximum allowable intake period. Also allowed a .030" chamfer on the skirt

I have a lathe and lots of measuring tools, but new to KT engine. I build SBC racing engines and outboards for APBA so used to getting things down to the last .001 or less. What is the procedure to shorten the skirt the correct amount. One guy told me 3/16 but I figured it would depend on where the cylinder is installed on the case.
Thanks
Skeet

There's a tec tool that's used to hook into the intake port , then the skirt of the piston comes down and sets on it. The tool is .110 thick, the measurement off TDC that it must not exceed is .775 so after you set the exhaust height with gaskets, then you check that intake off TDC and cut the skirt accordingly, after cutting length you can legally cut a champher on the piston skirt not to exceed .030. Jon

Thanks Jon exactly the info I was looking for --Now I will start looking for the tec. tool, probably need a tech manual to make sure what the legal exhaust height is and other rules for blue printing the KT100.

There's a company called Lad specialties that has the tool, ya you need a tec manual , there's lots of things called out you need to know about. It's a shame some good Blueprinting articles were just lost on Bob's just recently, oh well get you a manual and ask some questions and we will get it back on here again. Jon

I have been gathering information and finally ordered some parts, and built my own port tech. tool. There are several really helpful people I have talked to and I want to thank them a lot. They have been willing to share some good -- no great information. Thanks Jon Brogden, John Racebrewer, and Mike Collins (wow lots to share), this type of help has made me Happy, Happy, Happy :)

Back