Kt 100

whytfnot

I got a racing go cart two weeks ago idk what frame or anything with a kt 100 motor I got it for 400 and when I went to look at it worked the next day it didn't I did mess with the idle/high low screw and It wont start it has spark, compression it gets gas so it must be the carb does anyone have good idle settings if so plzs lmk

alvin l nunley

Site Supporter
Basic rule; if it's got compression, and it's got spark, at the "right time", and it's got fuel, it's going to run.
The 1st thing I would check is the spark. Pull the plug, attach the plug wire, hold the plug against the engine (away from the plug hole) and turning the engine over. The spark will be very light, very hard to see. It usually makes a clicking sound.
Pull the back plate(S) off the carburetor. It's very easy to see if the pumper diaphragm, or metering diaphragm, are malfunctioning. There is a screen in the fuel inlet hole, check to see if it's blocked. Pretty easy clean. There is a pressure pulse line (most used a a fuel line) that goes from the engine cases to the carburetor, check that. The fuel inlet fitting is brass, that's where your fuel line from the gas tank hooks up. Don't get the 2 lines confused! It's pretty easy to pull the spark plug and spin the engine while looking in the carburetor to see if there is fuel being pumped. If you have a fuel filter between the engine and the gas tank, check that.

flattop1

Dawg 89
Low speed needle 1.25 high side 1.5
Idle screw back it off till throttle is closed turn it in till it just barely starts too open , the turn it in 1 turn .

alvin l nunley

Site Supporter
Low speed needle 1.25 high side 1.5
Idle screw back it off till throttle is closed turn it in till it just barely starts too open , the turn it in 1 turn .
That's so much different from where we ran the KT in the nineties. Low 2 1/4 – 2 1/2, high 1/4 – closed. Depending on air density. One driver I coached won two Southern California KT Sprint Championships.

whytfnot

Basic rule; if it's got compression, and it's got spark, at the "right time", and it's got fuel, it's going to run.
The 1st thing I would check is the spark. Pull the plug, attach the plug wire, hold the plug against the engine (away from the plug hole) and turning the engine over. The spark will be very light, very hard to see. It usually makes a clicking sound.
Pull the back plate(S) off the carburetor. It's very easy to see if the pumper diaphragm, or metering diaphragm, are malfunctioning. There is a screen in the fuel inlet hole, check to see if it's blocked. Pretty easy clean. There is a pressure pulse line (most used a a fuel line) that goes from the engine cases to the carburetor, check that. The fuel inlet fitting is brass, that's where your fuel line from the gas tank hooks up. Don't get the 2 lines confused! It's pretty easy to pull the spark plug and spin the engine while looking in the carburetor to see if there is fuel being pumped. If you have a fuel filter between the engine and the gas tank, check that.
Do the high and low needles have the same springs because one of the springs on the high needle is missing is that the prob ?

alvin l nunley

Site Supporter
Do the high and low needles have the same springs because one of the springs on the high needle is missing is that the prob ?
Best as I can remember, there's only one spring on both needles and it's the same on both. Are you saying there are 2 springs on the low-speed needle?

flattop1

Dawg 89
With out a spring they will self adjust .
A similar spring would work . The correct spring would be best .
Did it start ?
Are you pull starting or electric start

whytfnot

Best as I can remember, there's only one spring on both needles and it's the same on both. Are you saying there are 2 springs on the low-speed needle?
no I mean is there a spring on the high and low needle or only on low and do they use same spring mine only has spring on low and also
my high needle wont screw in all the way ?