Kt ignition drive

flattop1

Dawg 89
Is there a driver or a way to drive off the ignition side of a kt ?
Say you want to run twins without switching the piston and barrel .

There is an extension shaft set up, the problem is to get them to run true. Personally I would turn the piston, barrel and change the rotor

I have run my KTs on both sides of my laydown without changing ignition. If you run it on the left side of the kart you only need to remove the ignition cover, make a hole to run the starter nut, install this special two piece nut and you are ready to go. This 2 piece left hand starter nuts are getting hard to find. LAD might have some left. https://ladspecialties.com/left-hand-starter-nut/ Some people just get a nut for it and loctite it. To run the same engine on the right side of the kart you will need a special extension piece for the crank to mount your sprocket and a 3rd bearing attached to the mount to support the crank since your extension will and sprocket will put extra load on that side of the crank. For both cases I am considering you run dirt or road racing and want to run the chain or belt in the inside side of the kart; it will be different if you run on an asphalt sprint kart and want to run the chain/belt on the outside). This way you can have a spare engine and easily use for both sides with a quick change. Otherwise you might need 2 spareengines in case you have a problem on any side.

Twin belt , both on the same mount . I think my best bet will be with a cw rotor . Thats how it was initially ran . Though with tt75's.

You mean both on the same side of the Kart? Better get a good clutch. Do you have a clutch to run dual belts?

No jackshaft with twin belts . Then clutch on there .
Clutch is setup for a 1 inch 4 disc which i dont have . Gotta do one problem at a time . Just remembered that , had been thinking 3 disc 3/4 shaft .

Someone use to make a nice drive shaft you could screw onto the flywheel side but you need a third bearing because it's really hung out there. Most of them came off without the 3rd bearing which is how I got mine. I was walking the track at Summit Point and there it was.

If you're bothering to run a j/s, why keep both belts inside? Why not run 2 "standard" KT's to common shaft? Bob Berlin had a good j/s setup at one time... If you really had to have it inboard, I'd be tempted to have a Pfeiffer pulley machined out to fit the mag nut, and then bolt to mag where the mag puller usually bolts on?

Ted two standard kt's together make it a bit wide best to rotate the crank for better rear tire clearance and a more compact setup don't ask me how I know lol Chuck.

That idea has ran through my mind on the flatheads .
The mount i have is already set up with both inboard .
Was hoping for a bit of plug and play .
Wish in one hand hope in The other .
Not happening that way .

Is there a driver or a way to drive off the ignition side of a kt ?
Say you want to run twins without switching the piston and barrel .
Yes there is. Hegar 4 makes a very nice driver for the ignition side of the kt100. Call and talk to Chris Hegar. there on the web.

Back