KT100 bore size

Pack

I’m new to karting and have an opportunity to buy some blueprinted KT100 motors, however I noticed that 1 is 52.84 bore and 1 is 52.54 bore. Should I be concerned with the size and being able to have future rebuilds?

If you have a choice, the 52.54 will give you more rebuilds. The 84 cylinder is at it's end of life; you may get a clean up hone, but that's it depending on clearance.

Thank you very much. I am getting a really good deal, but wanted to ensure I could race with them. I will have to check our local track rules also to see if they tech or not. I wasn't sure if I could re-sleeve it or not once it reached a certain size. I am very new to karting and trying to learn as I go.

A good engine builder (hard to find) can take off very little material from the bore and find a piston to match and keep it legal for a couple of years. 52.84mm is 2.082" so you possibly have 3-4 more rebuilds depending how well you take care of it. That being said, when an engine gets that old it's going to need allot of other stuff like a new rod or ignition coil and the power difference between original bore and max legal bore is nothing to worry about. Also you can't re-sleeve a KT100 and pass Tech.

A good engine builder (hard to find) can take off very little material from the bore and find a piston to match and keep it legal for a couple of years. 52.84mm is 2.082" so you possibly have 3-4 more rebuilds depending how well you take care of it. That being said, when an engine gets that old it's going to need allot of other stuff like a new rod or ignition coil and the power difference between original bore and max legal bore is nothing to worry about. Also you can't re-sleeve a KT100 and pass Tech.
Thank you very much for info. The motor only has 4 weekends on it from a complete top to bottom rebuild and blueprinting and Dyno. So looks like I will be ok getting into it. If I can get a few seasons out of it I will be really happy for the price.

Back