kt100- good or bad for an open?

spincycle

just wondering about anyones thoughts (either good or bad) on making a stocker kt100 into an open...first and foremost, availability of needed parts/pieces....then, reliability...and pro's/con's of maybe even considering duals instead....

I can say this for a the Yamaha KT 100, they were an improvement over the McCullough. lol. They have weak rods and weak crankshafts that are almost never straight. The barrel is a joke. Heads not bad if you leave it stock. The only reason that motor got so popular, in my opinion, was because it was an improvement over the McCullough and a lot cheaper than the Komet. I'm definitely no fan of the KT.

IMO if you want more power you'll have more on a stock ICA reed that you can buy cheap nowadays and it will also be more reliable on gas. In any case none of both will be competitive for an open or UAS class at most tracks on dirt.

We raced them for years and they were probably the best spec motor for the buck. I believe the UAS rules allow it to weigh as low as 270 0r 280 pounds kart and driver. With a pixy driver they will get up and go on a small track and even mix it up. I got as low as 340 pounds racing the Yamaha Light class and at that weight they ran and handled great. Only a few tenths off the track record that was set by a Super Stock Parilla. That's a 100cc gas kart. UAS karts came close but never beat the record. There was a pretty well known builder out of the Phoenix area that was known for hot KT's. I can't remember his name, perhaps someone will chime in. I always thought the KT wasn't that bad even if it wasn't the crem de crem of motors.

DK

Pete Passalaqua, iirc. Superdyne. Joe Torres and Al Eshman also near there. But the real "KT Pete" is Mr. Muller, IMO. :)
Actually had an open sudam 131 that was originally built by al eshman, it broke, someone wanted it, i needed money at the moment, had to let it go....i more than want another one...any for sale or anyone maybe willing to deal on one you know of?

A reed is probably the way to go . You can go with the big piston , port modification , less cc in the head and alcohol fuel .
Full on open though cost too gain ratio is way off .

Actually had an open sudam 131 that was originally built by al eshman, it broke, someone wanted it, i needed money at the moment, had to let it go....i more than want another one...any for sale or anyone maybe willing to deal on one you know of?
PM to you.

We raced them for years and they were probably the best spec motor for the buck. I believe the UAS rules allow it to weigh as low as 270 0r 280 pounds kart and driver. With a pixy driver they will get up and go on a small track and even mix it up. I got as low as 340 pounds racing the Yamaha Light class and at that weight they ran and handled great. Only a few tenths off the track record that was set by a Super Stock Parilla. That's a 100cc gas kart. UAS karts came close but never beat the record. There was a pretty well known builder out of the Phoenix area that was known for hot KT's. I can't remember his name, perhaps someone will chime in. I always thought the KT wasn't that bad even if it wasn't the crem de crem of motors.

DK
Pete Pascquala....he knows how to make them fast and reliable....on gas no less!

Back