KT100 Left side PTO, Right side mag, start?

Broncbob

I got this engine with a Bug 2000 chassis, it’s supposed to be a spare. I have read about how to set up a KT100 to run left side PTO, but I haven’t read about a mag side start, or what ever this is set up to do. I also can’t find anything on the stickers on the head. Can anyone shed some light at what I’m looking at here, or any info on the sticker? Possibly a engine builder?

53954740-261F-4639-BCA6-60E8CCA4496C.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]
7ECD2150-F0FB-4055-97C3-75BAD480DFC5.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

It was a left side engine , if you put it on the left , you will need a left hand starter, or put it on the right side and start it through the clutch

Second look look , pull the cylinder off and see if the ports line up, that is an inboard setup, if it runs put the third bearing mount on backwards,

I have zero history on this engine. The only other set up like this I have found, had just a hole drilled into the mag cover. This one has a grease zerk. I was hoping someone here could help me get a idea what it is.

You probably have a reverse rotor and coil. Like Chuck mentioned, the engine was probably set up for an inboard axle clutch on a RH drive sprint kart - just a guess. The cases look like they've been turned 180 as well.

If you're just using for a parking lot or recreational use, I wouldn't worry about it. You can easily swap to outside drive (if your other motor is outside drive) with a std coil and rotor so both motors are the same.

I think the sticker is for Terry Ives in CA.

That side cover is from an old straight shaft setup. That was the original KT100 offering. The straight shaft KT had an extra bearing on the rotor side for more support. Wasn't needed so, the bearing was removed.

If you pull the head & jug, you will find that the ports do not line up. Nothing wrong with that, in fact, some of the engines ran a little better that way.

Brian #89

This was also common with dirt speedway a decade ago. With the clutch and sprockets inside, the right rear wheel could be tucked in closer to the frame where it let the chassis handle a little better. It did use left hand rotor so converting it back would require a standard right hand one. The can exhaust is one of the SSX variations that produced a solid 13hp on our dyno at 5,000 feet if blueprinted. Throw a decent pipe on it and pull a solid 19 hp at our altitude.

DK

I can't remember if it was technically legal or not, but I broached the keyway through a number of rotors back then (later 70's) so that the rotor could just be flipped over for opposite direction. I sure wasn't the only one doing it, so you might find that the rotor on that engine has 2 keyways in it.

PM

It was legal to put a second keyway in the rotor and flip the rotor over. I did this to several rotors. This cannot be done on rotors for tapered shaft crankshafts.

Paul

Last edited:
IKF rules dictated engine mounted clutch in Jr1, Jr2 and Sr Sportsman classes; hence the reversed cylinder. Our local option for Sr. Sportsman allowed jack shaft and SSX 4-hole can. Made for some fun racing.

DK

I worked on KT100 restoration projects like that for many years. I would do a complete disassembly then put it back together in the configuration you want with all new gaskets seals and anything that was worn or rusted. Or you can just get it running and hope it don't blow up.

Sundog

The engine was built as a left side PTO by Terry Ives. I’m sending it back to him to have it re configured as a right hand PTO. He will remove the pluse port for the left hand PTO, and open the pulse port for right hand PTO back up. He’s also going to check it over while it’s there. He’s already blueprinted it, so it would just be replacing parts that are worn. The bore and piston look like they were done, and it was broke in, then stored. I do have some concerns about the PTO half of the crank, it looks very blues to me. Apparently someone cooked a clutch to well done on it.

When he changes it back get the clock wise rotor that is on it now they are getting scarce,might get a decent return on it Chuck.

Back