KT100

CalebRuiz

Hello, my friends and I recently bought ourselves a few karts with KT100’s on them. We are all relatively new to the karting scene. A few questions: What kinda carb settings should I run? (I know it does depend on the track though). Can I just use pump gas on the KT100? Or would I really feel a difference if I use racing fuel? Thanks!

With the KT100 there's a thing called "blueprinting". There's a big difference between a "stock" KT100 and one that has been blueprinting. A big difference. Unless you know if it's been blueprinting, it would be very difficult to tell if it was just by looking at. Find a kart shop close to you and get it checked out.

I owned one of the first 100 KT100's imported into the United States. 1976! I have a lot of experience working on them. Racing them.

A stock Un-Blueprinted KT100 can run on 89 octane gas. If it's blueprinted, you may need a little higher octane. Only a highly modified KT100 will need premium. Only a highly modified carburetor (WB 3) can run alcohol, and then it would take a skillful tuner.

Set the low 3/4 turns out the high 1 1/4 out . That should get you going .
The higher octane fuel will be better though not high octane race gas .
Like Al stated it's alot dependent on the actual engine build .
16/1 oil mix yama lube 2r is easy to get and works well .

Set the high 3/4 and the low 1-1/4 out and you should find that to be rich on top end. You should probably replace the carb pumper and clean the screen and get a new spark plug. Make sure the fuel lines are in good shape and not rock hard and they should be safety wired at the connections. High test from the gas station will be fine and any high quality two stroke racing oil mix 8 ounces to a gallon. Engine will be too rich to idle just start it and go!

Higher octane racing gas doesn't make you go faster. It's actually less flammable to prevent detonation in higher compression engines.

Sundog

Last edited:
Look up the Steve O'Hara Easy Tune thread for the KT100, and have a local kart shop set the carbs to those settings for you, and you'll save a LOT of hassle and potential melt-downs if you're just using them for fun. Alternatively, the time spent learning how to tune the carbs is a fun process too, but not without some risk. With older engines, crank seals can go bad and make you run lean, so beware of that. Good luck!

Something else worth mentioning is Make sure you’re not putting around on it. They are meant for high speed racing and you’ll burn up the clutch messing around in the yard or trying to do doughnuts. If it’s slipping it’s generating heat which is public enemy number 1 for the clutch!

Something else worth mentioning is Make sure you’re not putting around on it. They are meant for high speed racing and you’ll burn up the clutch messing around in the yard or trying to do doughnuts. If it’s slipping it’s generating heat which is public enemy number 1 for the clutch!
Our carts are direct drive. We don’t have any clutches on them

Back