kt100s whats the worth?

I have 2x kt100 engines but no idea what was done internally when they were built,one says comet the other says buller,one has a wet hortsman hxl clutch and the other is a tomar 6 spring,i have the starter and motor mounts/eexhaust pipes and everything needed included as well as the starter.

Both engines run great but without knowing anything about the internals Im not sure what to ask for when selling?What is a fair asking price for the buyer and seller?

Last edited:
Without knowing what's going on inside them, typically in the $400 - $500 range, if you can document piston/bore size that will have effect on desirability and final price imo...

Spin" has it pretty close no doucmentation or knowledge is not helpful .
You may be lucky to get 250-300 .
Complete motor mounts , pipes or can helps .
Personally just sold one with rebuild sheet fresh rebuild , mount , jackshaft and pipe ready to race 500.00 . I was comfortable with that .

Yes, pics to my PM as well.

Really would like to see under the jug. A quick clear view through the exhaust will tell a little story.

Brian #89

I have 2x kt100 engines but no idea what was done internally when they were built, one says comet the other says buller,one has a wet hortsman hxl clutch and the other is a tomar 6 spring, i have the starter and motor mounts/exhaust pipes and everything needed included as well as the starter.

boosted,

It is quite literally impossible to know the value without pulling down the engines.

Example: I was helping someone that wanted to put together a Yamaha setup for sprint racing. He had been collecting engines -- buying off ebay, or friends that were getting out, etc. He sent me 4 engines that he had acquired, all at good prices. I pulled everything down (all the way to splitting the cranks). Bottom line... all 4 engines were near max bore size, 3 of the 4 crankshafts were unusable (totally worn out). All the rods were worn out. Most of the engines had machine work done that was marginal at best. Only one coil was usable. TCI missing on 2 engines, and the other two had broken ears. 3 of the 4 engines had carbs, but 2 of the 3 carbs were garbage. With a *LOT* of work, and a couple hundred bucks in parts, I was able to build one good, fast engine, though the crank will need to be replaced soon, and the cylinder only has a couple of bore sizes left.

Granted, I am illustrating a bad scenario, and also speaking from the engine builder side, not the engine *seller* side.

In hindsight, the person I was helping would have saved money, and been much better off just getting their hands on a single new or near new Yamaha and letting me build the one engine (would have saved me significant work as well, haha!).

Bottom line: if you are selling... the more info you can provide, the better. If you are buying... pull the engine down most of the way and measure everything before laying down the cash.

PM

My guess is I have been on the lucky side but most times i by from people I have at least heard from. Got a very good one with jackshaft, pipe, carb, race ready and very good and well done for $350 . I didn't even need the jackshaft/pipe so I really paid like less than $200 if selling pipe and jackshaft. I got another that was completely stock but in great shape wth carb but no pipe or clutch for $200. Just the TCI is close to that price nowadays and ran good enough to save my day at an enduro race after messing one crank in another one. Anyway I guess I have been" lucky" though I always do my homework before buying. You can buy something for $500 that is worth nothing and you can find something for less that is good. With no info there not worth naything other than for parts if they are good, like TCI, header, etc...

It all depends on what you really want an engine for. Recreation or just running on the back of the pack you can work on your engine if you have tools and knowledge/good help. If you want to run on top in any class or surface, 2 or 4 cycles it is cheaper and better to pay a top builder, believe me, and for this an engine with no history can be worth nothing since it can be more expensive to blueprint to specs than buying a good one.

Ten -4 . These engines could be great . Or could need 400.00 or more in work . You have to know they are legal if your racing any series .
Any engine that leaves the shop legal , can be manipulated after the fact .
Heck he probably sold em already .

Like all the others have said, only one thing I want to add. Yamaha KT's are more sought after and more widely raced out west. Something that might be useless down in clone land is still of value in 2 stroke country. Inspect your engines and market them to guys around you. I see you are from Phoenix, i think KT is a good class in So Cal and where you are? I know it is here in the NW.

If you still have them I’d like to get some pics if possible. Text is fine 209-346-2835 I’m in the market for 1 for sure possibly 2 but everyone around here in northern CA either won’t sale them or think they are worth WAY more than their weight in gold 🤦🏼‍♂️

Back