L206 ar3910x sparkplug fake?

Someone suggested a long time ago that they should have stuck with the original plug and just had a gap specification and a resistance test.
;)
For those that don't think a spark plug doesn't make a difference and there shouldn't be a rule, you are mistaken.

Plugs do make a difference. But all plugs are available
to all people. If a certain plug is not available to everyone it
should be illegal. Plugs are not something that you can only do
at a Nascar grade machine shop. The rev limiter should
catch the problem. No plug rules make one less thing
for everybody to fuss over.

Plugs do make a difference. But all plugs are available
to all people. If a certain plug is not available to everyone it
should be illegal. Plugs are not something that you can only do
at a Nascar grade machine shop. The rev limiter should
catch the problem. No plug rules make one less thing
for everybody to fuss over.
I hear you, but when you've got someone modifying plugs, ie cutting the shoulder on them in a lathe so the plug will reach down in the combustion chamber and displace some CCs, then do it to a high dollar iridium plug, etc, you end up seeing $40 spark plugs -- Even though they're "available" to everyone, doesn't mean it's a good idea for the program.

The same can be said for the air filter rule. Many people have balked about that rule the same way. Of course there are cheaper spark plugs and cheaper air filters, but those are NEVER the ones that racers buy -- they'll gravitate towards whichever ones make more power -- and those tend to be the more expensive ones. Case in point with K&N and Walker air filters for the L206. Sure, $11 Chinese S&B filters are available for the L206, but you'll see the front runners using $75 filters (even if it were only a perceived advantage.)

FWIW, there are advantages to spark plugs and air filters -- opening up the rules allows the experimenting to begin and it will NEVER end up with competitive racers using cheaper plugs and filters.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
33 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

I'm seeing what the fuss is about. IF you allow one thing, then there
is a push to allow another and pretty soon the engine is totally different
and out of control.
Tech the spark plug.

I'm seeing what the fuss is about. IF you allow one thing, then there
is a push to allow another and pretty soon the engine is totally different
and out of control.
Tech the spark plug.
Exactly where the flathead went!

Wanted to say Animal too but with the internet and a bit of work and ingenuity one can and I have built a very competitive engine.
Guys like Jamie Webb were very helpful.

Lets keep the 206 as simple as possible - that is the future until we are all electric.

Imagine that - a generator for each kart, better (expensive) tracks will have a power grid. Don't fight it, its coming.

B

Ok, I was going to stay out of this but here goes. I do tech for Cup karts, street races and a couple of tracks. This all started with the champion plug and guys were taking the carbon resistor out of it and replacing it with a solid copper wire and then by setting the plug gap at .005" you could actually turn 3300 to 3400 rpms. Very useful on big tracks. I personally have seen 5 DQs for altering the plug between Cup Karts, street races and others. The first clue to catch them guys was they would not be running a tach. And you cannot run a kart on a stand and get an accurate rpm because when they are free wheeling sometimes they will go over the limit. Does it work? I took my grandson to a couple different races down South during the winter and pitted next to some friends. Two of those guys smoked the field, and after tech (i was not working) which was a heads off inspection, they told me they had altered the plug. Cup Karts tried to persuade Briggs to write some specs on the Champion but instead went to the Autolite plug. Guess what, there is no resistor in the Autolite but I've already seen 4 plugs that the outside electrodes were bent in to lessen the gap, plus years ago in the clone days you could buy that plug in a longer length. Briggs actually makes a gauge to check the gap but only a couple of people have them ( i have asked 5 times and still don't have one). and then to add to the problem, and SOME BRAND NEW PLUGS WILL NOT PASS TECH. A good techman must look at the plug very close to determine if the plug was altered on purpose or just out of spec from the factory. By the way the internal circuits of the coil has been redesigned to eliminate the problem. Sometimes you just have to confiscate the plug and give him a new one and send him happily on his way. Let me be clear here. Cup karts is not trying to rule the class but if Briggs won't address the problem then Cup karts will address the issue in their rules. PS just wait till you see my post on whats going on with the heads, coming in a few days.
Looking for your post on the heads, cant seem to find it

Lol then why did the tech man dq him, that there you can tell he/she probably favored the track favorite over bumpy
There are defective plugs out there. If you don't think there is you've got a problem. Nothing that is mass produced will have perfection every time.

Also if you want to speculate then by all means be ignorant, but before you go making a recommendation try reading the rules that go along with that engine.

There are defective plugs out there. If you don't think there is you've got a problem. Nothing that is mass produced will have perfection every time.

Also if you want to speculate then by all means be ignorant, but before you go making a recommendation try reading the rules that go along with that engine.
There's always that one guy that doesn't even know the rule's and blames the tech guy for getting Dq'd. LOL

Back