L206 coils and rpm

Hopper

Some l206 coils seem to get into the Rev limiter higher than others. Ex. 6049 vs 6100. Is that a function of the coil or the accuracy to which the mychron device is reading it?

I think it’s even more complicated than that. It’s also a function of the draft, track, and a few other things. I have seen guys come off the track and Mychrons read 6400 with perfectly legal coils.

Mychron 5's are notorious for that. 99.9% of the time, it's not your true reading. Of course, ALWAYS an exception to the rule. These are the parts that flew out of an engine after somebody was playing with a coil last weekend as we teched for RPM's!!! PXL_20210801_042850263.jpg

6040-6050 is everyone I have ever seen, hundreds and hundred, (that are legal.)
How your tach wire is wrapped around the plug wire, and any interference can cause different readings.
Like Derek said, Wheel hop or getting your back bumper lifted at the end of the straight can read some interesting rpms in recall.

I recently found a 6100 coil that revved to the moon while starting a power run on our dyno. Talk about raising some eyebrows!
I tried probably 10-12 more times after that to replicate the rpms and was never able. Definitely an anomaly that I know many racers would like to have in their engines. LOL BTW, that was with a My4, and my ears confirmed the extra rpms. :)

To the issue of the My5 reading higher...I "think" it's a sampling issue when the rev limiter is involved. I'm no electrical engineer so that's about all I can comment on it. Maybe Mychron Mike could chime in on this thread?

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
32 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

You mean 20 rpm and how many inches…

Better question is how many feet does a 1/2 mph of corner exit speed equate to down the next straightaway😲
Assuming that the straight is 1000 feet, the average speed after the corner is 45 mph... Assuming the .5mph increase is linear through out the entire acceleration zone.... 11.06 feet.

You mean 20 rpm and how many inches…

Better question is how many feet does a 1/2 mph of corner exit speed equate to down the next straightaway😲

I'm gonna blindly trust both peoples' internet math, but this proves Gary's point.

You could spend $100s to $1,000s of dollars on engines and coils to gain 1.7 inches or about $50 on a practice day and work on tuning/driving to gain some of that 11 feet. Seems like a no brainer to me.

Dont worry. Someone will still call me (or Comet or Brian or all 3 of us :) ) today and ask how to get one of those "special" coils.

I'm gonna blindly trust both peoples' internet math, but this proves Gary's point.

You could spend $100s to $1,000s of dollars on engines and coils to gain 1.7 inches or about $50 on a practice day and work on tuning/driving to gain some of that 11 feet. Seems like a no brainer to me.

Dont worry. Someone will still call me (or Comet or Brian or all 3 of us :) ) today and ask how to get one of those "special" coils.
I would spend thousands to gain 1.7 inches

I had a stack of coils sent to me last week along with other bags of new parts to sort through to find the special ones. I didn’t even entertain the idea. I’d have to charge 2000 per rebuild and have a dumpster pile of parts for basically no reason. Welcome to 206 where the best drivers win. Drive better 😀

Last edited by a moderator:
Off to the Canadian Nationals next week @ Mosport, tech tools in hand. Gonna miss Dave, Kyle, and the guys. What I can count on, engines that have been built w/ repeatability, and close racing. As Gary eluded to, much like Lansing this weekend, "206, where the best drivers win".

Back