L206 EGT Probe for Mychron 4.

Be careful allowing the probe to go deep in the pipe. Considering the id of the spec pipe as the sensor displaces considerable volume. I try to run it into the pipe about 1/3 of the way to the center and use the jam nut to set the depth.

Another method is to use an O2 sensor @ the muffler. Depending on the system you use, will require a separate power source / battery.
We've used the same one on the track as we use on the dyno to compare lambda. All useful information, some data is more valuable than others. :)

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
33 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

A Brian stated, it is a comparison measurement, so, as long as you use consistent method, results should be valid.

If comparing to some one else's readings, that is another can of worms.

To keep it simple stupid. And considering how many are in and out of karting in less than 3 years no one has time to learn anything anyways. The more difficult it is the less likely they are to give karting a try. Having egt is about as useful to most as a dyno sheet. More harm than good and a terrible waste of time when they should be focusing on learning to drive. Hard truth but not saying their isn’t value for a select few.

For those who don't have a way-back machine, this rule was made in response to some creative reading of the rules back in the late eighties.

There were pipes that used a different process to get more air into restricted engines. Specifically ground camshafts were made to maximize the benefits.
Pipe rules changed at this same time.

Ever notice your lo206 doesn't seem to lose much performance when the pipe is run loose, or falls off?

Why do they allow a tach? Aren't people too stupid to use that too? pretty dim view. I think DA makes things easier. Air sucking egt probes, now that's a good reason for the rule.

I wish I had a more dim view but unfortunately it is reality. And since you mentioned it yes most people shouldn’t bother having a mychron since easily more than half have never even downloaded the gps data. On the other hand paralysis by analysis is my favorite way to watch people that don’t know how to drive waste their time 😊

Totally agree with Gary on over-thinking and over-analyzing data. We're all guilty of that to an extent. Data can be powerful, or can be distracting from much more important aspects (such as driving.)
More laps spent at the track will result in better lap times.
More hours pouring over endless data may, or may not, result in anything more than frustration.

Great tuning data for the dyno, and for a select few - valuable for practice...Beyond that, focus on what matters most.
Not to discourage racers from learning and tuning, but don't expect mid-pack to top 5 results from your tuning wizardry.
Trust your builder/tuner to get the tune right on his dyno, then focus on basics at the track.

Totally agree with Gary on over-thinking and over-analyzing data. We're all guilty of that to an extent. Data can be powerful, or can be distracting from much more important aspects (such as driving.)
More laps spent at the track will result in better lap times.
More hours pouring over endless data may, or may not, result in anything more than frustration.

Great tuning data for the dyno, and for a select few - valuable for practice...Beyond that, focus on what matters most.
Not to discourage racers from learning and tuning, but don't expect mid-pack to top 5 results from your tuning wizardry.
Trust your builder/tuner to get the tune right on his dyno, then focus on basics at the track.
Thanks to all for their responses..I am trying to learn how to get the best tune on the carb that I know very little..we ran the walbro 3 for twenty years and egt was helpful. You are correct as we made nice gains when we tuned the driver, and chassis and less on engine and clutch.

For the purposes of tuning four strokes I opt for an AFR gauge personally as it's less influenced by ambient conditions. When it comes to the 206 though, the process of finding what AFR is going to work best for you under given conditions, how to make those adjustments vs the benefit of making them... Not sure the juice is worth the squeeze.

Understand (regrettably) the reason for not allowing EGT in race conditions 🤦🏼 Are studs allowed for the exhaust on a 206 ? Would make swapping headers much easier - less chance of killing a threaded hole….

Back