Lapped karts

4Gsracing

What should lapped karts do when karts racing for lead do? Continue to hold up traffic or move out of the way?

Lapped karts should always stay out of the way of the leaders, once lapped your race is done

I've been in races where if you are lapped you pull off the track. Yes that's good for the leader, but on the other hand that driver could be a bringing driver. If they pull off the track every time that they're lapped how will they learn.
I started on a straight rail, and a under powered 2 cycle. I was lapped a good bit, but by the end of the season I wasn't.
So, stop and think did these racers running up front everywhere start there when they began. I doubt it.

They should try , if they even know your coming.
You should be , also able to pass them if your in that position.

First this should be a bigger topic at drivers meetings and the tracks should have and use the move over flag, what to do should be going over with details just move up and hold your line, and all ya guess what as soon as the leader laps you there are more coming don't try to cut back down and go racing again.

I don't want people thinking they have to "do something" when the leaders come up because it's usually not good. In asphalt sprint you just keep your predictable line and it's the leaders job to pass you.

My question is if you're running two different classes at the same time and you're in second place for the slower class is it right to tag onto the end of leaders of the faster class going by.

I've been in races where if you are lapped you pull off the track. Yes that's good for the leader, but on the other hand that driver could be a bringing driver. If they pull off the track every time that they're lapped how will they learn.
I started on a straight rail, and a under powered 2 cycle. I was lapped a good bit, but by the end of the season I wasn't.
So, stop and think did these racers running up front everywhere start there when they began. I doubt it.

I agree unless it is a big money race designed for pro drivers, But a normal every week race, let them learn. Just like ALL of us did when we first started out!

Around here that only happens for some bigger MONEY races, there weekly points race they leave them out.

This is a subject that sort of rubs me the wrong way. I grew up racing cars in which the program AT EVERY TRACK went like this: Time trials, heat races, main events. In all races the fastest car started at the back, based on qualifying results. Races were good, lots of passing and strategy, and always good crowds in the stands.
Fast forward 20 years and the fastest guy starts on the pole. Passing is almost nonexistent, racing is boring as hell,
very few people go to a track just to watch a single groove parade. And lots of whining about having to lap a car. Heck we might as well be drag racing.

First this should be a bigger topic at drivers meetings and the tracks should have and use the move over flag, what to do should be going over with details just move up and hold your line, and all ya guess what as soon as the leader laps you there are more coming don't try to cut back down and go racing again.

This is what I'd have to agree with... Especially the flag and laying out the rules during drivers meeting

This is a subject that sort of rubs me the wrong way. I grew up racing cars in which the program AT EVERY TRACK went like this: Time trials, heat races, main events. In all races the fastest car started at the back, based on qualifying results. Races were good, lots of passing and strategy, and always good crowds in the stands.
Fast forward 20 years and the fastest guy starts on the pole. Passing is almost nonexistent, racing is boring as hell,
very few people go to a track just to watch a single groove parade. And lots of whining about having to lap a car. Heck we might as well be drag racing.

What would keep someone from sandbagging early on so they start up front for race

Maybe times were different and drivers had more pride, I don't know exactly. Some tracks had a rule that if you were clocked in the main event at X amount under your qualifying time you would be DQed. Others, if somebody was obviously sandbagging, would simply would give the accused sandbagger a choice of starting in the rear or going home. Later on it seemed there were more unscrupulous drivers tracks changed the format and after qualifying would flip a coin at the drivers meeting, full invert as usual, or heads up start.

Keep in mind CARS can use the whole track to try to pass, Karts different story much smaller tracks and 2 groove wide at best, would cause a lot of issues trying this for karts, the cream will still come to the top.

just wait till you feel a few bumps or see the dreaded blue/orange flag and safely get up out of the way. your still racing for the final two spots just like everybody else out there just let the leaders by. (and don't ask me how I know) it was a baaaaad weekend...….

I was always told it was the "hold your line" flag. The leaders are responsible to work around you. I know that doesn't sit well with the leaders if the lapped karts are in the fastest line. But, lead cars should have no problem getting bye without making contact...If the lapped karts suddenly change line after the leaders have studied their paths you can expect some confusion on both sides.

YEP, still have stock car tracks around here that do this... makes for a great night....if karts were on pavement this might work... also transponders help a bunch for sand baggers... if your over you time for 2 consecutive laps by .25 or some tracks by .125 at the next caution you either go to the tail or go home.

Back