Lapped karts

Didn’t happen. There was a 4 kart break away for the lead. I was running 7th out of 18 karts. I was still racing for position and they knew it. Talked to the winner after the race and he said I did the right thing, I was just in the preferred line and if he were me, he wouldn’t have moved over either. Classy if you asked me.

They should hold their line and keep racing. As the leader if you can’t find your way around another kart (especially a much slower kart), better switch over to time trials instead of racing or try a drag car as the guy next to you won’t be in your line. Oh no, you have to pass someone! Did you get around the fast guys? Did you set up the pass? Maybe give that a try instead of 😭. This is part of the trophy generation mentality and people just don’t want to work for anything at all anymore.

This post has gotten silly. Lapped karts by rule are supposed to get out of the way. Move up and out of the race groove aka preferred line to the high side. Research it. It's kart racing rules no other form. What you guys arguing otherwise is comedy. If you make it hard for me to pass you being lapped by staying in the groove and make me go in the marbles your crazy if you think that is good racing. Slow down get out of the way of the fast guys after they pass get back on it. If you can't handle that get off the track. The move over flag is not a suggestion black flag follows if you ignore it. This used to be clearly outlined in wka rules book.

The preferred race line belongs to the leader of the race. This is for karts not cars.

First off this should be part of EVERY drivers meeting as it's one of the most important parts of a race, If the race track ( director ) is using 1 way radios what the racers should here are details something like, # 7 the leaders will catch you next lap, then the leader will lap you in turn 1 move up to high part of the groove maintain steady pace until 3 karts go by you, then you can move back into groove, 2 laps later #7 more karts will be lapping you move back up and maintain until 3 more karts are past you, the younger they are the more details needed.
But yes it's kart racing with a limited width racing groove lapped traffic should ALWAYS move up to high groove, pony it up a little stay steady until group of karts going past are ALL clear before moving back into the groove going back to racing.
Parents need to teach there kids this until they get up to pace as getting lapped Puts them harms way as much as anything else !!

They should hold their line and keep racing. As the leader if you can’t find your way around another kart (especially a much slower kart), better switch over to time trials instead of racing or try a drag car as the guy next to you won’t be in your line. Oh no, you have to pass someone! Did you get around the fast guys? Did you set up the pass? Maybe give that a try instead of 😭. This is part of the trophy generation mentality and people just don’t want to work for anything at all anymore.
You may want to rethink this as adult classes are not the only classes, IF your kid or grand kid was the local hot shoe and was the leader getting caught up in other kids being taught to race like this, and he or she ended up trashing the brand new chassis you just bought them, or worse yet got hurt because of it.
Need to look at the whole picture, I've seen more bad wrecks in rookie classes because of lapped kart not knowing what to do than just racing incidents. The only good part of this is pointing out Hold their line !! Because if the make a quick move it's even worse !!

Not sure what racing you are talking about Ken? I’m not trying to be an a** either so don’t take it that way. Passing skills seem to be very lacking in karting from 2003 when I started to present. People have to beat, bang, try to spin and push their way to the front because every lap led wins. The setting up a pass part or asking them if they got around the people they started behind? That makes a bad racer and teacher? Why are we asking people to move up in the most dangerous part of the track instead of going low or high out of the corner and letting off just a touch to ensure the leader gets by? As krtrcr implies once the leader goes by move back to your line as it is the leaders line not 2nd, 3rd etc.? That’s the rule or so I hear? “Leader” not anyone else. So in other words teach them to make it to a lapped kart and wait for the flag man to make them move out of the way because otherwise you are stuck, no way around around that kart? What about the others that only drive off their front bumper and don’t see the flag like the leader couldn’t see a kart they would catch in a lap or two? What about a kart that is far enough ahead into 1 and 2 but gets caught on the backstretch without a flag or radio? Throw the caution, flag them half a lap ahead of the leader and have them run one slow lap because they may get caught on the backstretch, have it ingrained to always hold their line or? Back in 2005 to 2007 the 5 year old I let run my equipment was the hot shoe. He was done for the day if he ran through a kart, spun them, intentionally beating on them, or caught someone and couldn’t pass them being that much faster if they held their line which was the same line as him. He had to look ahead and setup his passes. Lapped karts should continue to run their line and the leader can find a way around them. If you are so smart to try high and into the marbles through a corner I don’t think racing is for you! Into or out of the corner is where most passing is done. So when the kart the leader wants to get the move over flag does so, moves up, spins and comes down and takes out the leader instead of setting up his pass and not taking that chance or even a yellow due to a spin that puts second place right on your tail with a restart is better than holding a line and working thru traffic? Then the leaders tires don’t refire and they go backwards and now it is the lapped kart, my tire guy, my engine guy etc fault, definitely not my skills. If my kid or myself couldn’t pass a lapped kart holding their line and had to have an open track to be fast we would just pack it up, go home and find something better to do because that isn’t racing, skill or fun and he/she/I aren’t very good no matter how much people have told us/we/me/I/them so or think we are and it hurts our ego. I don’t need coddled or others praise etc that is weakness and a lack of confidence. If kids/adults can’t setup a pass into or out of the corner are they even that good? It isn’t like that kart just suddenly appears in front of you, you have had a couple laps to watch their line. Could it be other forms of racing have better drivers and more exciting races because they know how to pass and don’t need someone to clear the hard obstacles for them? Is this part of why when many move up in the racing world they struggle because they missed out on one of the most important skills of a driver? WKA who? As krtrcr proved it is always someone’s else’s fault “make me move into the marbles” nobody made you move there 😂you did that out of your own front bumper driving and that lacking important skill of setting up a pass. Oh wait that kart magically appeared right in front of me, I didn’t see it until it was right there. It’s not my fault! Nothing I could, do it was like a deer jumping onto the road out of a corn field! Never mind the previous few laps I could have been watching them and preparing a pass down the straightaway, into or out of the corner. Just because you can catch someone doesn’t mean anything I can watch that in any form of racing, can you pass them to put them a lap down or do you need help besides your own skills to pass them? Trophies for everyone, just go out one kart at a time so you don’t have to pass anyone, you won’t ever have to try to regain control in the marbles, no karts will magically appear in front of you all the sudden and the best part.....none of that hard thinking involved! See how easy that was! I’m sure this sounds appealing and the best part is....it’s easy! I suppose it is the flagmans fault if a kart don’t move over and you lose the race because you couldn’t pass a lapped kart that the guy behind you setup and passed you both because you have “extraordinary” skill and should have won. Wouldn’t want to hurt our ego and say man I suck at passing maybe I should work on that! Just because something was always done a certain way doesn’t mean it is better or right, such as medical, automobile, technology etc.

Not sure what racing you are talking about Ken? I’m not trying to be an a** either so don’t take it that way. Passing skills seem to be very lacking in karting from 2003 when I started to present. People have to beat, bang, try to spin and push their way to the front because every lap led wins. The setting up a pass part or asking them if they got around the people they started behind? That makes a bad racer and teacher? Why are we asking people to move up in the most dangerous part of the track instead of going low or high out of the corner and letting off just a touch to ensure the leader gets by? As krtrcr implies once the leader goes by move back to your line as it is the leaders line not 2nd, 3rd etc.? That’s the rule or so I hear? “Leader” not anyone else. So in other words teach them to make it to a lapped kart and wait for the flag man to make them move out of the way because otherwise you are stuck, no way around around that kart? What about the others that only drive off their front bumper and don’t see the flag like the leader couldn’t see a kart they would catch in a lap or two? What about a kart that is far enough ahead into 1 and 2 but gets caught on the backstretch without a flag or radio? Throw the caution, flag them half a lap ahead of the leader and have them run one slow lap because they may get caught on the backstretch, have it ingrained to always hold their line or? Back in 2005 to 2007 the 5 year old I let run my equipment was the hot shoe. He was done for the day if he ran through a kart, spun them, intentionally beating on them, or caught someone and couldn’t pass them being that much faster if they held their line which was the same line as him. He had to look ahead and setup his passes. Lapped karts should continue to run their line and the leader can find a way around them. If you are so smart to try high and into the marbles through a corner I don’t think racing is for you! Into or out of the corner is where most passing is done. So when the kart the leader wants to get the move over flag does so, moves up, spins and comes down and takes out the leader instead of setting up his pass and not taking that chance or even a yellow due to a spin that puts second place right on your tail with a restart is better than holding a line and working thru traffic? Then the leaders tires don’t refire and they go backwards and now it is the lapped kart, my tire guy, my engine guy etc fault, definitely not my skills. If my kid or myself couldn’t pass a lapped kart holding their line and had to have an open track to be fast we would just pack it up, go home and find something better to do because that isn’t racing, skill or fun and he/she/I aren’t very good no matter how much people have told us/we/me/I/them so or think we are and it hurts our ego. I don’t need coddled or others praise etc that is weakness and a lack of confidence. If kids/adults can’t setup a pass into or out of the corner are they even that good? It isn’t like that kart just suddenly appears in front of you, you have had a couple laps to watch their line. Could it be other forms of racing have better drivers and more exciting races because they know how to pass and don’t need someone to clear the hard obstacles for them? Is this part of why when many move up in the racing world they struggle because they missed out on one of the most important skills of a driver? WKA who? As krtrcr proved it is always someone’s else’s fault “make me move into the marbles” nobody made you move there 😂you did that out of your own front bumper driving and that lacking important skill of setting up a pass. Oh wait that kart magically appeared right in front of me, I didn’t see it until it was right there. It’s not my fault! Nothing I could, do it was like a deer jumping onto the road out of a corn field! Never mind the previous few laps I could have been watching them and preparing a pass down the straightaway, into or out of the corner. Just because you can catch someone doesn’t mean anything I can watch that in any form of racing, can you pass them to put them a lap down or do you need help besides your own skills to pass them? Trophies for everyone, just go out one kart at a time so you don’t have to pass anyone, you won’t ever have to try to regain control in the marbles, no karts will magically appear in front of you all the sudden and the best part.....none of that hard thinking involved! See how easy that was! I’m sure this sounds appealing and the best part is....it’s easy! I suppose it is the flagmans fault if a kart don’t move over and you lose the race because you couldn’t pass a lapped kart that the guy behind you setup and passed you both because you have “extraordinary” skill and should have won. Wouldn’t want to hurt our ego and say man I suck at passing maybe I should work on that! Just because something was always done a certain way doesn’t mean it is better or right, such as medical, automobile, technology
Like I said post is silly.

Lapped karts are half the speed in the corner so you say slow down to half your corner speed to pass accident waiting to happen. As far as going in marbles do you suggest pushing them out of the way? Dirt tracks have 1 groove period that groove belongs.to the race leader. If you want to be the dope that's known for being in the way and slow that's fine. The art of passing lapped karts hilarious I'll just sit back and laugh.

Personally, I want the lappers to hold their line. If theyve been running the last 5 laps on the bottom, then run the bottom. The last thing I want is to tell somebody to run on the more difficult part of the track. If they stay on the bottom, and dont try to race the leaders, then the leaders should find a way by. The top is marbles and already treacherous, do I really want the guy who is struggling with speed to run the most difficult line to control? I'd rather them hold their line, or run the bottom than the top. Let me, with more control/speed run the top and get by you. Just don't race me into the next corner.

All in all, I want them hugging the bottom as tight as they can. With that said my local track is usually 1.5 lanes so as long as they hug the bottom, I can manage up top.

Move over flag means move over not race the leaders. Lol
I was getting ready to post the same thing, the blue flag with the yellow stripe means move over, not stay in the racing groove and continue racing your slow pace, there's room to move high without getting in the marbles to do so.

Like I said post is silly.

Lapped karts are half the speed in the corner so you say slow down to half your corner speed to pass accident waiting to happen. As far as going in marbles do you suggest pushing them out of the way? Dirt tracks have 1 groove period that groove belongs.to the race leader. If you want to be the dope that's known for being in the way and slow that's fine. The art of passing lapped karts hilarious I'll just sit back and laugh.
As I said about a kart moving up in a corner let alone it magically appearing in front of you! Dependency is such a decadent part of society anymore! See above about trophy generation🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️. Hopefully you don’t drive your everyday vehicle off the front bumper too! So in other words you are lapping karts every two laps? Racing against putt-putts? Yeah it is an art obviously you haven’t mastered it yet and wait for the flagman to help you since the only thing you could come up with was push them out of the way rather than using just a touch more brain power and realizing you have seen that guy for the last 15 or so seconds so you have time to decide where you will catch him and how to go around him without screwing yourself. Here is your trophy 🏆 you won the time trials for today! Great job, you didn’t have to pass anyone! So second place doesn’t matter the kart can come down as soon as the leader passes? Ken not sure what you race on but most times the groove in the corner is at most a kart and a half wide and then marbles so it is much more than just move up. With all the safety you try to promote you should know the corners are the worst. The best is the flag part😂 happen to watch the January super heavy race at GKK? Let me know how the flag from not only the flag stand but a track worker for several laps worked out and then tell me all about the flags that you want, it doesn’t mean someone will see it or abide by it. Well then throw the caution! Now second is right on your tail.

As I said about a kart moving up in a corner let alone it magically appearing in front of you! Dependency is such a decadent part of society anymore! See above about trophy generation🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️. Hopefully you don’t drive your everyday vehicle off the front bumper too! So in other words you are lapping karts every two laps? Racing against putt-putts? Yeah it is an art obviously you haven’t mastered it yet and wait for the flagman to help you since the only thing you could come up with was push them out of the way rather than using just a touch more brain power and realizing you have seen that guy for the last 15 or so seconds so you have time to decide where you will catch him and how to go around him without screwing yourself. Here is your trophy 🏆 you won the time trials for today! Great job, you didn’t have to pass anyone! So second place doesn’t matter the kart can come down as soon as the leader passes? Ken not sure what you race on but most times the groove in the corner is at most a kart and a half wide and then marbles so it is much more than just move up. With all the safety you try to promote you should know the corners are the worst. The best is the flag part😂 happen to watch the January super heavy race at GKK? Let me know how the flag from not only the flag stand but a track worker for several laps worked out and then tell me all about the flags that you want, it doesn’t mean someone will see it or abide by it. Well then throw the caution! Now second is right on your tail.
Not the tracks here, especially the ones I do track prep for.

You and your time trial comments. 1st through 10 is swapping racing all that. This about lap karts getting out of the way of faster karts. Comedy.

So with a racing groove that is wide enough for two karts to stick side by side through a turn the problem is? and you still can’t pass them or set up a pass?? And you have to go half your speed to get around them with two grooves? 😂😂😂😂😂😂 🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆 just pay your money and grab your trophy don’t even unload.

I’ll do whatever the voice in my earpiece says to do. But, still find it hard to believe a guy can pass his way to the front but has to have lappers moved for him. Apparently the pole sitter always wins on coke syrup tracks?

There has been alot of races where ive seen 1st have to check up just alittle, or alot cause he caught or gonna catch lap kart in apex of turn, and 2nd didn't have to check up and the timing was just right where 2nd was able to keep momentum and drive right under 1st coming out of turn. If lapped kart would have moved up when he saw the flag i don't believe that would have happened, and when tracks are only given 10-15laps that could be very upsetting for someone, but also rewarding for another

Last edited:
Back