Lapped karts

YEP, still have stock car tracks around here that do this... makes for a great night....if karts were on pavement this might work... also transponders help a bunch for sand baggers... if your over you time for 2 consecutive laps by .25 or some tracks by .125 at the next caution you either go to the tail or go home.

Lol many guys set their cars up to get faster as the race goes along.
If they told me I went faster than my qual. time I had to go to the back, I'd take my stuff home

Lol many guys set their cars up to get faster as the race goes along.
If they told me I went faster than my qual. time I had to go to the back, I'd take my stuff home

Same here. If I see my driver is really fast in the first 5 laps, I start to worry about the setup I put on the car or kart; we always try for a setup that hit's its stride for the last 5 laps. If I'm sent to the back for that, I'm gone.

I admit that there have been nights where I totally missed the setup, and got lapped. Here's my opinion:

At the driver's meeting they should tell everybody if they want slow karts to go low or go high. If they don't mention it during the driver's meeting then ask before the meeting is over - even if you already know their answer, because there are probably drivers in the meeting that don't know and don't think to ask. And the fast guys should pay attention so they know where those slow karts are supposed to go... hopefully.

I try to look around to have an idea where the fast karts are and how fast they're catching me. That way I'm already planning on where I'll go to get out of the way instead of them surprising me.

Once I go to the top or bottom (depending on what they said in the driver's meeting) I stay there until I'm sure all of the fast karts that are right behind me have cleared me. Typically I'll have to let out of the throttle some to stay in that lane. Then it's okay to go back into the racing groove... paying attention of course for more fast karts coming. I don't change lanes until they're past - even if I goofed and didn't get out of the way in time. Usually the fast guys would rather you keep a steady line than dart across the track.

But once you're clear of them you need to go back into the racing groove and try to learn what you can. I don't like a rule that lapped karts have to leave the track. That takes away valuable learning opportunities for slower drivers. Good drivers can pass you with no trouble, as long as you're not weaving suddenly. If you give them room but they can't get past you then they also need the practice.

I say hold your line and don't do anything erratic. They are lapping you for a reason, they will pass. I have seen more accidents from someone trying to get out of the way or looking back, if they would just hold their line the faster kart will go by. I also don't think the leader has the right to just dump them. Racing room needs to be given by both. Where I see more issues is where kart A is faster here, but kart B is faster there, and both of their lap times are very close. That's where stuff will happen.

Yeah I agree with a lot of comments on here. But when they put a lapped kart in between the leader and 2nd place on a restart with less than 5 laps to go on a bullring then I don’t think the lapped kart should should be suprised when he’s gently moved out the line after a couple laps. One groove short track racing doesn’t leave a lot of options on a low powered “restrictred” kart. I don’t like dirty driving and would never alllow anyone to drive thru anyone so that’s not what I’m saying either.

Yeah I agree with a lot of comments on here. But when they put a lapped kart in between the leader and 2nd place on a restart with less than 5 laps to go on a bullring then I don’t think the lapped kart should should be suprised when he’s gently moved out the line after a couple laps. One groove short track racing doesn’t leave a lot of options on a low powered “restrictred” kart. I don’t like dirty driving and would never alllow anyone to drive thru anyone so that’s not what I’m saying either.
When that has happened to me (getting placed between the leader and 2nd place) I jump out of the groove as soon as the green flag falls. For many tracks that means going to the outside lane... they should tell you during the drivers meeting where they want lapped karts to go.

There have been nights where I've been hopelessly slow due to an experiment I'm trying (that isn't working out). Before the race, when I know I'm going to be a jam car, I go around to the other drivers on the grid and tell them that I'm slow and will head out of the groove (outside or in, depending upon the track's preference) when they come to lap me. Yeah, they don't believe me... until they see me do it.

We just went over this at our track with the rookies at the drivers meeting and the general consensus said to stay (low). They want you to stay out there and hold a low line until the race is through or you get black flagged cause your a hazard.

The leaders and those who think their fast always want everyone to get out of their way even faster racers ahead of them.

The FACT IS if the complainers are REALLY any good they will get around slower racers. If they can't do it cleanly then they ain't very good.

All a slower racer or ANY racer needs to do if not racing for position is to be consistent. Asking a slower racer to move out of the way is total BS and the worst thing that can be asked of a slower racer. You NEVER want a slower racer moving in or out getting out of the way it causes accidents.

There's no difference between racers racing for first place or racing to not be in last place. The complainers complain because they ain't good nuff to know how to pass or their skill or the track doesn't make it easy. The ONLY reason to have slower racers get out of the way is because the track only has one grove and the slow racers are entitled to the grove just as much as faster racers. The faster racers only complain because there sissy's afraid to even try to pass a slower kart because they might screw up and get passed instead of being able to have exclusive access to the HOG line they want.

NO slower racers should not move in or out to get out of the way. They should do their best to be consistent running their line. They should NOT be expected to get out of the way of complaining "me first" and I'm the only one who matters and gets to run the only line I'm capable of running racers.

What the complainers want is to run heat races and then only put the top 3 or 4 racers out on the track for the feature. The slowest back marker paid just as much to race as the fastest almost good racer who can't pass a lapped racer who is entitled to just as much of the track as the leader.

Blue flag means hold you line faster racers are approaching and don't do something stupid, it does NOT mean move over.

Last edited:
YEP, still have stock car tracks around here that do this... makes for a great night....if karts were on pavement this might work... also transponders help a bunch for sand baggers... if your over you time for 2 consecutive laps by .25 or some tracks by .125 at the next caution you either go to the tail or go home.
I've seen the fastest kart improve by more than .25secs in the race. Even done it myself and we ain't sandbagging.

Situational awareness! That is what all drivers need! Drive past your nose. You should know where the leaders are. You know there coming. If you don’t,you have no business on the track! We are all piloting little weapons.

There are times with my rookie driver that we have missed tires, setup, or both. He has gotten pretty good at controlling the kart out of the groove. I told him to let the leaders by. No use in causing a wreck, or him getting hurt. On the other hand I told him not to come off until he sees the black. We can’t ever win races if we don’t finish them. That’s just my take on it and someone will probably disagree.

There are times with my rookie driver that we have missed tires, setup, or both. He has gotten pretty good at controlling the kart out of the groove. I told him to let the leaders by. No use in causing a wreck, or him getting hurt. On the other hand I told him not to come off until he sees the black. We can’t ever win races if we don’t finish them. That’s just my take on it and someone will probably disagree.
If he's out of the groove he's got a better chance at causing a wreck and being in it getting hurt, plus he stands no chance at winning the race anyway.

Situational awareness! That is what all drivers need! Drive past your nose. You should know where the leaders are. You know there coming. If you don’t,you have no business on the track! We are all piloting little weapons.
WELL SAID dirt guy

My ONLY attitude with my driver has always been and always will be "your responsible for ALL that happens on the track". period

If a slug spins in front of you it's STILL YOUR FAULT for not recognizing the skill level of the slug in front of you.
THE driver is totally responsible for ALL that goes on and ALL they get involved with. again ... period

edit: It's a damn tough scenario when yer just not quite fast nuff to be on the lead lap and EVERY checkered flag you have two cars going for the win with one on each side of you.
HOLD YER LINE and ALWAYS run yer best. period.

Thing which most angers me is when JOE hot shoe after taking the checker JUST HAS to pass the LAST CAR LEFT RACING>
IMHO if JOE hot shoe gets put into the fence passing a car still racing when they just won the race. tough @#$%^&

Last edited:
Navigating lapped traffic is a required skill for being a good racer. Don't be mad at the lapper if you can't get past him.

Lappers need to run their consistent line or point the leaders by inside or outside if they are planning on altering their line to let the faster guys by.

I'm watching the lapped traffic in front of me laps before I get to them to see what they're doing.

I've noticed a trend with a few of the indoor races around the country this winter, single file initial starts in all races....and then add in black flagging lapped karts....more or less making these races amusement park kart riding imo.... guarantee I won't attend any races with this format...and if karting takes on this format all over I'm done with it...😉

I've noticed a trend with a few of the indoor races around the country this winter, single file initial starts in all races....and then add in black flagging lapped karts....more or less making these races amusement park kart riding imo.... guarantee I won't attend any races with this format...and if karting takes on this format all over I'm done with it...😉
Spin, it's not just indoors thats doing it. Watched several BIG money races this year and because a 30' wide race track was only prepped to 10' wide, ALL starts (including the $5k, $10K races which should be the best of the best on the track) were started single file. Someone explain to me how that is fair to the guy that qualified 12-14 (or further back) in a 30 kart field. The guys mid pack and back are already a 1/2 lap down when the green comes out. If people who are making $100K a year racing karts can't handle starting side by side, then maybe it's time to rethink this entire section of the sport. Rant Over.

Last edited by a moderator:
We just went over this at our track with the rookies at the drivers meeting and the general consensus said to stay (low). They want you to stay out there and hold a low line until the race is through or you get black flagged cause your a hazard.
In kart racing lapped karts should move high out of the preferred line. Basically in kart racing the race is over at that point you are just practicing. So you must get out of the preferred line. This works in all forms of kart racing. Telling someone to go low will cause a wreck especially in dirt it will cause the fast karts to go up in the dust and spin. I am just at this point in the thread I will read on to see if anyone else addresses this.

In kart racing lapped karts should move high out of the preferred line. Basically in kart racing the race is over at that point you are just practicing. So you must get out of the preferred line. This works in all forms of kart racing. Telling someone to go low will cause a wreck especially in dirt it will cause the fast karts to go up in the dust and spin. I am just at this point in the thread I will read on to see if anyone else addresses this.
It's a no win thing, especially with rookies, you have them move up out of the high grip area down low and absolutely guaranteed they're gonna loop it or worse, and then they always try to get it turned around right as the pack is coming at them....no right answer.....as far as juniors and adults, absolutely move them up, if they don't like it they can exit the race....

When I was in that situation with the leaders coming, I was told on the raciever to hold my line. Took 3 laps for them to get around me. I appreciated not being punted when they could have. Told the flagman after the race that I would’ve moved up, but he told me I had as much right to that line as they did, and it was up to them to get around me. Just my experience.

When I was in that situation with the leaders coming, I was told on the raciever to hold my line. Took 3 laps for them to get around me. I appreciated not being punted when they could have. Told the flagman after the race that I would’ve moved up, but he told me I had as much right to that line as they did, and it was up to them to get around me. Just my experience.
That's where things will get real messy....the leader most of likely isn't going to do anything stupid to jeopardize their position.... but the others running behind them absolutely will...and if it happens to drastically alter the outcome, you're gonna have some seriously upset racers looking for you in the pits afterwards....😉

Back