laser sprocket aligner

• Thread starter Deleted member 21174
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 21174

We threw a chain before our last race so I decided to get a lot more fussy with the Sniper laser sprocket alignment checker we have.

If I check 6 different positions on the sprocket I can get the laser to hit the driver, but it hits the driver in different spots (some are right in the middle - some way off to one side). If it's still off after cleaning everything is this a normal variation? Or should it be in the exact same spot all the way around? I don't want to go replacing parts unless I know something is bad.

It happens all the time, the sprockets and sprocket hubs rarely are perfectly straight. if you put a dial indicator on the face of your sprocket hub you can check and see if runs true or not or if the variations are coming from your sprockets

Sorry - "way off" would still be on the driver but right at the edge of the driver.

using the eye ball and spin test we NEVER had a chain come off, if you're setting the alignment and the slack on a stand without the driver in place as raced you're doing it wrong to start

I always used a 12 inch steel ruler, lay the wide side against the rear sprocket and it must align with the driver sprocket.

laser shoots a straight line . the thing is ; where is it pointed .
if it hits the toothed part of the driver in six places its more then adequate.

using the eye ball and spin test we NEVER had a chain come off, if you're setting the alignment and the slack on a stand without the driver in place as raced you're doing it wrong to start
This is a great point. I have started checking tension with the driver in the seat and and kart on the ground and it is different. I never thought to check chain alignment on the ground.

How you supposed to tighten the chain with the kart on the ground ? Been doing on stand for many years and never had a chain come off either.

Adjust it on the stand and double check it on the ground with the driver in the seat...
You must have a lot of time at the track, sometimes we change gears 4-5 times a night.. besides washing, drying & prepping tires, oil changes and what ever else comes up, now you want me to put my freshly cleaned prepped tires on the ground to check chain slack
:giggle:

How you supposed to tighten the chain with the kart on the ground ? Been doing on stand for many years and never had a chain come off either.
I never said on the ground?
After adjusting it on our scale stand for many years with driver in place, its habit now, doesnt matter where i adjust it, it doesnt come off til I take it off

We've always used floater hubs or "Floated" a regular hub and aligned by eye. No fancy tools needed and have never lost a chain due to misalignment. Forgetting to tighten motor mounts- Yes! Kart bottoming out and hitting sprocket- Yes! But never misalignment.

I think we threw the chain b/c it was too loose. But now I am paranoid about everything including alignment. We did run almost an hour in practice with no issues but I watched the tension like a hawk. I'm thinking seriously about trying one of Jimbo's adjustable mounts - getting the tension just right is so important but tricky too.

What I see sometimes when a chain keeps coming off, is too large of a rear sprocket. Depending on your setup, chassis, sprocket , track roughness, And if it only come off when you spin out.
I have found that if I use a 68 rear and spin out. Chain will come of more often. If I run a 66 or less, never comes off.
Just something to think about. Having a rear floor pan also helps in some cases.

I think we threw the chain b/c it was too loose. But now I am paranoid about everything including alignment. We did run almost an hour in practice with no issues but I watched the tension like a hawk. I'm thinking seriously about trying one of Jimbo's adjustable mounts - getting the tension just right is so important but tricky too.
The QPT mount is worth the money if you ask me. Makes tensioning the chain nice and simple, and gear changes are a breeze without have to climb under the kart. Very well built piece.

Back