Lash caps

Renegade

Better get ready to buy lash caps and Ex retainers from every importer you can. Not all lash caps are the same, some are machined deeper than others. The retainer locks are sometimes machined deeper. Quality control and consistency are a joke in China. Those deeper lash caps will sit on the retainer not the valve. The deeper retainers will cause the lash caps to sit on the retainer not the valve. When lifting they push the retainer .001 to .005 before the valve even moves. This will play havoc with horse power and make dyno results look like the Rocky mountains. This is why builders have been sanding on the lash caps since 2008. Sanding the caps is sometimes a necessary part of the build. The resulting lightening the lash caps makes zero difference in the HP.

If you think a lighter lash cap is an advantage and you have PROOF (which no one does) please call Stan Hewitt and tell him his PRO series dyno is junk and then call Performance trends and tell them their top of the line software is garbage because they show no difference between a stock cap and an ARC HP cap. Shaving the cap is about proper engine prep and consistency to make sure things work like they are supposed to. It's been going on for 12 years, it's no secret and suddenly it's a problem? Makes absolutely no sense.

There I said it now bash away. I really don't care this is FYI

To Stan Hewitt and Performance Trends: Your products are the industry standard that everyone else falls short of. If I needed a new dyno tomorrow. I would call no one else. Thank you for your excellent products and service.

Last edited:
Honestly .
I was thinking there can not be much weight saving going on here .
Every little bit helps , but this seemes like hundredths of a gram .
Lash caps only on the exhaust valve isn't it ?

Bennie, the lash caps that are a concern are ones that are being machines to 1/2 there thickness. AKRA is aware that there is no performance gain but the problem is builders take it upon themselves to circumvent the rules to there needs. I understand it sure is difficult to find another lash cap that is correct and use it when one can simply sand one down. However, that had not been approved. Why have rules if people are allowed to do as they please. The proper way to go about it would be to request AKRA to consider it instead of just going out and doing it then putting a black eye on the governing organization for keeping it as fair as possible to those who believe in following the rules.

I've seen some chamfer some not which is correct. I thought they were Chinese varieties....I say no tech in lash caps. To hard to tell anything.

Put a minimum weight and roll. You have to modify the length to fit retainers on some. As renegade said. 12 years in and now its a problem. no sense.

The lash cap is a valve rotator device, the intention is thathey push on the retainor relieve the pressure on the spring to valve, vibration will allow the valve to moveslightly so it does not seat in the same spot every time. They are not shortening them to lose weight, it is done to gain lift. This system has been used in some automotive engines for years.

Back