Lead weights

I have a box full of 2 pound lead ingots, and I want to make them into pucks so I can put them on my kart when needed. I have a melting pot that I used to use for making fishing lures. I should be able to get 2 ingots into each pot, maybe a little more. What can I use to get them nto the shape of the pucks? I have read muffin pans, but I am curious what other people have used. Also, I would like to avoid having to drill a hole afterwards, so what can I do to have the in place during the pouring of the lead. Thanks in advance.

Ive never made lead pucks but i would use the muffin pan and if i didnt want to drill a hole after i personally would take a bolt the size that you plan on using to mount the pucks with and maybe put a little bit of vaseline on the bolt and place it in the middle of the pour and hope it stood up then id remove (unscrew) the bolt leaving the hole. But as i said its just how id do it, im sure someone with more experience could give a better idea.

I use a 4" muffin pan, they come out to be 4.8 lbs.

It does'nt take long to drill 3/8" holes after the lead cools, the trick is to have a sharp bit and go slow!

Some use old cat food cans, I'm personally not a fan of how they look but to each their own.

Good luck!

It does'nt take long to drill 3/8" holes after the lead cools, the trick is to have a shape bit and go slow!

Some use old cat food cans, I'm personally not a fan of how they look but to each their own.

Good luck!

What's a shape bit?

- - - Updated - - -

I think I have read on here, a small block chevy valve works good to make the holes.

Unfortunately, I don't have one of those laying around..

Stainless Steel dog food bowls work well. I pour 5 lb weights in a smaller one and 10 lb in the larger one!

Stainless Steel dog food bowls work well. I pour 5 lb weights in a smaller one and 10 lb in the larger one!

Do you have to line the bowl with anything to keep it from sticking?

- - - Updated - - -

It does'nt take long to drill 3/8" holes after the lead cools, the trick is to have a sharp bit and go slow!

Good luck!

I forgot to ask if you have to line it with anything to prevent sticking.

There is no need to line the suggested molds. Both have draft angles (tapered sides), which, combined with shrinkage as the lead cools, allows the pieces to fall out easily.

Be sure to do this in a very well ventilated area, as the fumes are very bad for you.
Wear welding leathers and gloves, face and eye protction.

Flip flops and shorts are a no go. Lol

There is no need to line the suggested molds. Both have draft angles (tapered sides), which, combined with shrinkage as the lead cools, allows the pieces to fall out easily.

Be sure to do this in a very well ventilated area, as the fumes are very bad for you.

I do this in my garage with the door open, and cover nose and eyes.

Yup large muffin pans and small sauce pans work well. Around 4.5-5" then you can pour them as h
Thick as you want. I use a 7/16 drill for a 3/8 bolt. Go very slow. Use some Wd40. Drill a little. Spray. Drill spray. Repeat. If it sticks at all stop and let it cool. Spray and start over.

Sorry for the delay in a reply, been super busy. I always heat the bowls with a small torch to remove all moisture, pour lead to desired weight, when it hardens enough to not move in the bowl I drop in a 5 gallon bucket of water and it will release

Be careful....Theres this little thing they call lead poisening. Ask any radiator repairman if lead fumes are bad for your health.

Back