left rear

For Entry you would move it in, For exit you would move it out, BUT provided your rear spacing is close before scaling most leave rear hub spacing alone and adjust elsewhere.

Moving the LR in/out affects the timing on when the LR unloads into the corner and reloads
exiting the corner.

I agree with racing and bumpy. I like moving the front wheels more and usually leave the rear alone unless I have to move it. The reason is that the CG is located more at the rear and can have undesired results. A better option would be moving weight around on the seat.

Msquared

moving the left rear effects Stagger and percentages.. you want to keep your rear track narrow so your stagger is as small as possible better to adjust right front washers to do what you want with the left rear. higher cross tighter kart more transfer of weight along with caster adjustments. remove cross to loosen rear/tighten up from end.

moving the left rear effects Stagger and percentages.. you want to keep your rear track narrow so your stagger is as small as possible better to adjust right front washers to do what you want with the left rear. higher cross tighter kart more transfer of weight along with caster adjustments. remove cross to loosen rear/tighten up from end.
Dont matter if i have the LR in next to frame, or if i have LR 2" off the frame, an inch of stagger is still an inch of stagger. Moving the LR in, or out, does NOT change stagger.

Dont matter if i have the LR in next to frame, or if i have LR 2" off the frame, an inch of stagger is still an inch of stagger. Moving the LR in, or out, does NOT change stagger.
Sorry Sir but the law of physics do not support your statement. imagine if you had a solo cup laid it horizontal and had it roll it would make a circle of x diameter now if you made the solo cup 12" tall and did the same thing the diameter of x would be much larger. those are facts the chassis manufactures have been narrowing up the rear track of the kart in an effort to reduce stagger for a long time now

Changing the rear tread width does change the amount of stagger required. The farther apart the rear tires are, the greater the stagger required. It may only be a small amount, but it does change.

The most significant change in stagger occurs with a larger diameter turn.

Banking requires a change in stagger. The more banking, the less stagger you need.

Sorry Sir but the law of physics do not support your statement. imagine if you had a solo cup laid it horizontal and had it roll it would make a circle of x diameter now if you made the solo cup 12" tall and did the same thing the diameter of x would be much larger. those are facts the chassis manufactures have been narrowing up the rear track of the kart in an effort to reduce stagger for a long time now
Youre changing the x distance, not the stagger itself.
Take the solo cup, say it has .5” of stagger for theory purposes, cut it in half, add another 2” length to it. Still has only .5” of stagger.
The effects change when that happens, but the stagger remains the same.
Only way to change stagger is to grow or shrink one or the other side.

i never said it changed the stagger i said it effects it. please re read my first post people on this forum could do themselves a favor and read things a time or two before they go boasting about how they are wrong. If you change the track width you will need to change the stagger to equel the stagger you had before
the solo cup is a cone shape it is a decreasing diameter along its length.

I thought i read changed stagger also, but then I just went back and looked!
I know one thing is for sure ive had to use that edit button alot on here!

moving the left rear in or out does what? if the kart is a little tight going in, what way do I go
I think the info you got in the next two post answers your question correctly.

All the chatter beyond is in the realm of it just depends. ... :)

When you move the LR, you make the kart think you changed stagger. Your
measured stagger is the same. If you measure an 1" of stagger with the wheel
scrubbing the frame, you will measure an 1" of stagger when the wheel is out
against the snap ring. Stagger is the measured difference between the RR and
the LR. Moving the LR to affect the timing of the LR unloading/reloading could
be done by changing stagger (or wheel offset with the same stagger) and
leaving the hub in the same place.

When you move the LR, you make the kart think you changed stagger. Your
measured stagger is the same. If you measure an 1" of stagger with the wheel
scrubbing the frame, you will measure an 1" of stagger when the wheel is out
against the snap ring. Stagger is the measured difference between the RR and
the LR. Moving the LR to affect the timing of the LR unloading/reloading could
be done by changing stagger (or wheel offset with the same stagger) and
leaving the hub in the same place.
Anel retentive as I am, I did this. Think it's right, show me where I'm wrong! Stagger does change, slightly, when you change the rear tread width.

Attachments

• stagger change wider rear.jpg
    stagger change wider rear.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 35
Heres where you say moving the LR effects stagger, all i said was stagger dont change when moving in or out when i replied my first time.
Then you came back and said i was wrong.

Earl, I "think" Jeremy is trying to say is that narrowing the rear will ever so slightly reduce the amount of stagger needed.
Look, it's too early, it's probably 0*F out, and I haven't had enough coffee yet. LOL

I'm not totally sure if Al isn't convinced that the actual difference somehow changes.
Now, if Al did his math right, and I assume he has, then you're talking about a 0.01" difference in tire size.
For those of you using digital tape measures, have at it! :)

Now, for the rest of the world that uses a normal tape measure around the center of the tire, I think you'll be "just fine."

moving the left rear in or out does what? if the kart is a little tight going in, what way do I go
Move the left rear in to tighten the car at corner exit.
Move it out to loosen the car at corner exit.

That's about the extent of adjustment I make at the left rear hub, and it's certainly not the first adjustment I make to correct something in handling.

A narrower rear track requires less stagger to achieve the same turning radius opposed to a wide track. less Stagger = less scrub down the strait = more roll speed= faster lap times

Back