left side percentages and cross relations

I found this thread via Google. Had no idea Ken bumped it 5 days ago.

I'm curious about several things LEFT SIDE%. But as I read this I got different questions than what I came here looking for. From the stands it looks like to me that we need more LEFT SIDE %.

For discussion sake here are our numbers on our Evolve.

Stock Medium 350 lbs
Nose 46.5%
Left 58%
Cross 63%

LF 73 lbs RF 90 lbs
LR 132 lbs RR 58 lbs

I know, tires are everything. But, I'm wondering about going from Dry Slick track A to Bit up track B. The above numbers are basically what we've ran for the last year. On tracks that have zero bite, dusty hard dry slick it seems that we need to be able to rotate in the center of the corners better. Would this be a condition that our left should be 61% vs 58%? Conversely on a track that bites up really well, would that be scenario where we need to be 56~58%?

As dad that has never been in the seat, What is the best way to know your left side is being under or over worked? Measuring tire temps as you leave the track? looking at the graining on the tires?

(.....Yes, I know and recall tires, tires, tires did I say tires??)

Lastly, (Al would have a field day with this next question but I'm going to send it anyway)

Recently we exceeded -2.0 G's at the Apex of a corner. This was the largest G-Force we've ever seen.
In theory, at the apex of a corner with a maximum G-force, what should the weights be on each REAR? I'm talking about a snapshot of the dynamic weight when transferred left to right?

What rear weight distribution (left to Right) would maximize grip? Even? 95 lbs on each wheel? maybe 90 LR and 100 RR?

As for tires, I know tires are king but it seems to me that he better our setup is, the larger our tire window becomes. Therefore, I want to focus on both.

R.I.P. Al Nunley
My thoughts are that if you achieve perfect traction at apex, there is an extremely good chance you are missing speed at entry, and/or exit.

My personal preference for this, knowing I will never achieve the perfect lap, is to be a very slight bit tight at entrance, to give driver confidence, to slightly loose at apex, back to slightly tight at late exit.

Again, confidence on entry, enough rotation for the center, and max drive off.

The weight needed at each of the rear tires changes as the traction need changes. If the track has a lot of grip, the tires need not make as much. And, vice versa.

The size and shape of the actual tire contact patch can give some insight to the direction of traction each tire makes.

There is no golden ticket here,

Maybe some keys to missing information

Jmho

I found this thread via Google. Had no idea Ken bumped it 5 days ago.

I'm curious about several things LEFT SIDE%. But as I read this I got different questions than what I came here looking for. From the stands it looks like to me that we need more LEFT SIDE %.

For discussion sake here are our numbers on our Evolve.

Stock Medium 350 lbs
Nose 46.5%
Left 58%
Cross 63%

LF 73 lbs RF 90 lbs
LR 132 lbs RR 58 lbs

I know, tires are everything. But, I'm wondering about going from Dry Slick track A to Bit up track B. The above numbers are basically what we've ran for the last year. On tracks that have zero bite, dusty hard dry slick it seems that we need to be able to rotate in the center of the corners better. Would this be a condition that our left should be 61% vs 58%? Conversely on a track that bites up really well, would that be scenario where we need to be 56~58%?

As dad that has never been in the seat, What is the best way to know your left side is being under or over worked? Measuring tire temps as you leave the track? looking at the graining on the tires?

(.....Yes, I know and recall tires, tires, tires did I say tires??)

Lastly, (Al would have a field day with this next question but I'm going to send it anyway)

Recently we exceeded -2.0 G's at the Apex of a corner. This was the largest G-Force we've ever seen.
In theory, at the apex of a corner with a maximum G-force, what should the weights be on each REAR? I'm talking about a snapshot of the dynamic weight when transferred left to right?

What rear weight distribution (left to Right) would maximize grip? Even? 95 lbs on each wheel? maybe 90 LR and 100 RR?

As for tires, I know tires are king but it seems to me that he better our setup is, the larger our tire window becomes. Therefore, I want to focus on both.

R.I.P. Al Nunley
I'll say this I've been around the Evolve in fact 4 different ones from Green Plate to Super Heavy With Great results with the plate classes all 3, Green, Purple, Blue, Left was 54 % to 55 %, Sr Clone JUNK tried everything BUT lower left than normal , and gave up . Super Heavy little speed every now and then but not consistent enough. When I called Shaun at U-Max he told me If you have Rival Numbers that you felt were spot on, For the Evolve just use 1 % less Left than the Rival, Won A lot of races and Championships with the Rival, and 58 % on a No GRIP track would be to high for the Rival , So that's the first direction I'd go. If you'd prefer to discus it further feel free to call me .
Good Luck !!

Back