Lefthander drive.

btjones65

Just curious..... I’ve heard different things from different people. What is th3 difference in a lefthand drive kart? On a sprint track, aI would think, as long as it scales out good, it doesn’t matter......Am I wrong?

Just curious..... I’ve heard different things from different people. What is th3 difference in a lefthand drive kart? On a sprint track, aI would think, as long as it scales out good, it doesn’t matter......Am I wrong?
My first big win Was with a left-hand drive McCullough, on the left-hand side of the kart. Rivers track, Herndon California, 1969. I have a friend in California who still has a kart with the engine on the left-hand side, he set up for years. It's really fast. Not because of of left-hand drive, but it doesn't suffer from it either.

You do a left hand (inboard) drive on a right side engine so you can use an axle clutch for enduro sprint. Is that what you're talking about?

I think the idea behind the left side drive is to get the clutch on the outboard side on the four cycles to make clutch and gearing changes easier. It would also make it safer by getting the clutch away from the seat. A buddy of ours had his seat come loose and the weights on his disc clutch chewed right through the side of his seat. The results weren't pretty.....

The motor can be lower and level since the air filter does not interfere with the wheel. It is safer for kids. Use one piece gears and only need 3 bolts to hold the sprocket on. And the Nitro Lefty is smoking fast. Adult and cadet are available now. Just google or DuckDuckGo the race results for this chassis. I'm not sure if there are other left hand drive being sold right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve seen the Nitro karts. That lefty is a super nice piece. Nick Tucker from Nitro got together with Pail Rice from MGM and figured it out. From what I was told, the front is similar to Parolin and the rear is an upside down MGM Espionage

I think I may have to look into getting a bare chassis. I like the idea of lowering the engine.

Back