Legal Spark Plug

Steve,

Good to hear. I know when the AR3910X first got popular with the clone, many people tried them in their KT100 engines and experienced either coil or TCI failure.

Keep in mind, some Yamaha engines have same coils after 20 plus years, so that could have been a factor.

I know we sell over 200 Blue PVL coils a year compared to the 10 or so Green coils. I always wondered how many were for replacement vs. conversion.

Mike

Don't run the engine to so rich! More power is generated from proper air fuel ratio anyhow..................
Hi Steve - We have been running based on your suggestions for Blue Slide in the Carb tuning sticky (needle 2nd from top - float around .880 - maybe a smidge higher). The plug looks great (white part is still white) and the lambda we get on the O2 sensor are right on the money with what you suggested. I am planning on keeping these settings and maybe leaning out a touch (based on lambda) as the weather gets hotter and more humid here. I think we should be all set for the new plug. Thanks for all the great tips!

Steve,

Good to hear. I know when the AR3910X first got popular with the clone, many people tried them in their KT100 engines and experienced either coil or TCI failure.

Keep in mind, some Yamaha engines have same coils after 20 plus years, so that could have been a factor.

I know we sell over 200 Blue PVL coils a year compared to the 10 or so Green coils. I always wondered how many were for replacement vs. conversion.

Mike

Mike, I imagine in general more racers are moving up in RPM levels than down in RPM levels, so you would sell more blue coils.We do not see abnormal failure rates with blue coils.

Steve

Don't run the engine to so rich! More power is generated from proper air fuel ratio anyhow..................
We have the same carb as non restricted slides. Sure I do what I can to get the proper carberuetion on the top end and bottom end. But green slide is inherently rich.

I responded to a post on Facebook with this:
I consider this whole subject, in regards to 206 racing foolish. An improved spark, in and of itself does NOT increase power. As engines are built with modifications such as extremely high compression ratios, high swirl porting/combustion chambers, exotic fuels, yes, improved ignition systems are required. A spark plug is just a match that lights a fire. If there is a strong wind the match will have a hard time, you may need a butane lighter.

I have the same question.
When the 206 first came out Briggs determined that the slide restrictor was a better method than the restrictor plates for several reasons. One of them was better mixture control. The fuel delivered is proportional to the amount the slide is open. This is not a rototiller carb. It was designed and selected because it fills the requirements for the racing application.

After doing some research on this site and others it seems that the prevailing theory with the 3910x is you replace it before qualifying and the finals for national events. Once a day every at other events.

Also these tend to foul easily. I would imagine more so on the green slide. What are some precautions other than not idling on the stand to prevent this?
I have run 3910X in my modified predators for years. Never had one foul. NEVER.

The AutoLite 3910X plug does not have a center ground electrode, so no need to index or gap.

Attachments

• autolite.jpg
    autolite.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 30
I was told and maybe some one can confirm that if you gapped the champion plug tighter say .015 or lower it some how’s throws the rev limiter off ! I was told some were hitting 6200 to 6500 rpm ! I myself is skeptical however there has been some rev limiter checks in my class with that no load and some cars were hitting around 6250 ! Some were at 5900 wasn’t consistent among cars. Is that even the correct way to check ! Anyway can gaping a plug really gain you more rpms !

Back