Let's debate

intimidator3

I have two questions. The first is for my own knowledge and the second is to see peoples' opinions.

1. In general, what type of tracks/conditions favor higher and lower caster settings?

2. What is the single most important trackside adjustment and which ones bring the most gains in speed? (In my own limited experience it has become cross and I am not sure if it should be) interested in hearing thoughts......

1. Higher caster settings are lower grip tracks. Think of caster in terms of transfer need. As grip goes up the need for mechanical transfer goes down.

2. It's not cross :) A bunch of people will say cross, it is not cross!

... but you have to know the exact track size, including turns and straights, have a quality spread sheet to tell you what gear to change to, along with knowing air density and if your driver brushes his front or back tooth first. ... haha thats gonna get you in trouble lol

agree with jwd caster up for less bite down for more bite also i believe high left high cross for high bite low left low cross for low bite seems best track side adj is cross for tuning to track conditions and tires seems to be most important

First thing we do at a new track is find the right tires (stagger/bite/brand) and gear. Everything eles we tune from our baseline setup. Maybe ask a local what the track does as the day/night goes.

... but you have to know the exact track size, including turns and straights, have a quality spread sheet to tell you what gear to change to, along with knowing air density and if your driver brushes his front or back tooth first. ... haha thats gonna get you in trouble lol

sorry, not wanting to get into trouble I deleted what I wrote. And then saw you quoted me.

I proly deserve to get into trouble over it. ... :(

IMO cross is more of a timing adjustment, caster is more of an input adjustment. you can manipulate both but we don't change caster based on the track. cross we adjust to speed up or slow down transfer based on track size. biggest speed change will be in 4 rounds things, chassis wise its balance to the given track.

I was going to say tires earlier, because no matter how you look at it, ultimately it's part of the chassis. Can't race without them, but wasn't sure if they were referring to strictly chassis, not including tires or what.

IMO cross is more of a timing adjustment, caster is more of an input adjustment. you can manipulate both but we don't change caster based on the track. cross we adjust to speed up or slow down transfer based on track size. biggest speed change will be in 4 rounds things, chassis wise its balance to the given track.

I would tend to agree. The question was what caster when. I probably haven't touched a caster adjustment in a kart since 2006.

Back