lets talk axle size

Well that's another topic I would be in the middle of. IMO aerodynamic drag is something karts experience on long sprint tracks and being in the draft can decrease your lap times a good bit. Yet for an example do you see my out house kart over there on the left of the screen? I barley lost 6 seconds per lap on a 1 mile track with that big body on top of it.

LOL You've been racing bums! The track I'm talking about is 1 mile and has 4 long straights, not your average sprint track I guess.

What is the name of the track?

edit: I'm interested to know which track you were a 6 second off toad on and which your were champ.
I put up a track name, it's no big deal i'm just curious and it would make for a clearer performance picture.
Good and bad doesn't matter it's racing and we all take our highs from racing where ever they occur and usually there far and too few between at least for me. ... :)

I think it will also give a good reference for the axle and it's use/potential on smaller to large long tracks.
Even winners don't win or kick butt all the time depending on a lot of things.

Last edited:
LOL You've been racing bums! The track I'm talking about is 1 mile and has 4 long straights, not your average sprint track I guess.

Right. Bums at the Battle at the Brickyard, New Castle Motorsports Park (which is the exact size you describe) and a ton of street races across the Midwest. There’s absolutely no good racers in Indiana... that’s for sure. You could literally be 7’7” and not be 6 seconds off the pace.

.120” wall is thin
.190” standard
.250” thick.
First step would be to get a driving lesson. Many handling issues are a result of improper driving technique. Almost always a shallow/early entry without enough early rotation of the kart will lead to a loose Alex to exit. Ideally, get with someone experienced that can coach you and also drive your kart to give feedback. You’ll instantly know where most of your effort should be focused.

I'm a very experienced (multi championship) driver with a perfectly tuned kart/engine and on certain tracks I'm off by 6 sec a lap because of aero drag. Some things you can't do nothing about like being big and tall. On tracks with short straights I can win be it's still a challenge because of high vertical weight.

1-1/4" axle is a good axle. If you have a fairly modern kart with a basic set up, that's all you need.

When I hear a rookie say he's loose, first thing I think is driving technique. Snap oversteer: You go into the turn too shallow and fast then try to turn all at once 2/3's the way through and the back end steps out killing your speed. Slow down a little, go in as wide as you can, keep the steering wheel steady and drive a perfect radius without slipping the tires and you will come off the turn fast and be faster on the straight.

Sundog

I really like the last paragraph but that first one is extremely exaggerated. If you said 1/2-1 second and were 6’4” I wouldn’t argue but you aren’t racing at Road America

Back