lets talk axle size

Jimbo

If you talk the talk you should walk the walk
There will be a lot more to it than just changing the axle.
Chances are that if you change the axle you will also have to make other changes to make it work.
You may have to change wheel widths, track width, caster and or camber, weight distribution, seat height and son and on.
Talk to Paul!!

gary10

It’s reasonable to assume 1.5 seconds of your margin or more is simply driving unless the brake is dragging etc. Have someone fast drive your kart and give feedback. Many older mgms ran better on 1 1/4 axles so I wouldn’t expect a miracle. Ask Paul

PeteL

I will reach out to Paul at MGM. He has been very helpful with other questions I have had. I may also try and get one of the fast guys to turn some laps.

Scrad

Your not getting beat by the axle size difference. If I was you I would not worry about switching from the 1 1/4 axle to a 40mm. It will cost you a bit of money to swap everything over. Your best bet would be to find another 1 1/4 axle in a different thickness than what you have and give that a try.

Like some other people have said let someone else driver you kart. That will give you some feedback.

I've ran a bit of 206 in Masters weight at 390 and Senior at 360 with a few different chassis and axle sizes. Honestly if I was to order a new frame I'd get a 1 1/4 axle setup for 206. If the chassis only came with a 40mm then I'd stick with that.

PeteL

It’s reasonable to assume 1.5 seconds of your margin or more is simply driving unless the brake is dragging etc. Have someone fast drive your kart and give feedback. Many older mgms ran better on 1 1/4 axles so I wouldn’t expect a miracle. Ask Paul
I would take that one second! I am sure I am most of the problem.

btjones65

Hi Pete
The axle isn’t going to give you 3 seconds. More than likely, you have a 3/16 wall 1 1/4.
You can put a40mm in your kart and it will help if your kart is tight.
But, 3 seconds will be mostly driver and setup.

where are you racing at?

PeteL

Hi Pete
The axle isn’t going to give you 3 seconds. More than likely, you have a 3/16 wall 1 1/4.
You can put a40mm in your kart and it will help if your kart is tight.
But, 3 seconds will be mostly driver and setup.

where are you racing at?
Bushnell. I am trying to eliminate factors to get the gap down to just my driving. At this point, I probably have 300 - 400 laps at Bushnell, and now I am stuck at 3 seconds off the pace.

Jimbo

If you talk the talk you should walk the walk
I'll bet most of the problem is with your inexperience.
Find someone close to your size and ask them to make several laps or a couple of complete practice sessions in you kart.

btjones65

Give Paul a call. He knows the track.
Since your racing in Fla, your axle might a good sized factor ( as long as you put what Gary10 said first....he’s is not wrong)

I would say you should go in this order
Driving
Driving
Motor
Clutch
Axle

jjchat

From a coaching perspectives, just putting in more laps will not yield you the results to make up the gap. You need to practice "good" laps or you are just crateing "muscle memory" for bad laps. Again, I strongly encourage you to find someone at your track who either does driver coaching, or a fellow competitor who will work with you to show you some of the lines or driving techniques that may be counter intuitive.