LF question....

spincycle

When someone says "the chassis is pining the LF" what sort of handling condition are they trying to describe? Thx!

I will take a stab at it .
It would seem to indicate , pivoting around the LF .
Keeping it stuck to the ground via Loading .
Is this a big car term .
Our old Dino Kart ,. would carry the LF through the turn .

If they're trying to say that the LF is stuck down too hard, then it's logical to think that's creating a shortage of weight transfer to the right side, causing the kart to lose front grip, causing a push/drift from center off would that be a fair assumption? If so, that's the MAJOR problem I had with a PRC Recon...would it be safe to say that with the overall design and 1 1/4" tubing, it is too stiff a chassis? Conversely, I switched to Minecon, I'd say 99% if the time, I don't have an issue with "pining" the LF, many times I can feel the LF picking up , I can drive the LF over the white discs and not feel them....and the Minecon has been really consistently fast for me from the first time I put it on the track....I had never heard the term "pining the LF" but now having a better understanding, I see how if you're having it, major changes are in order....thx!

If they're trying to say that the LF is stuck down too hard, then it's logical to think that's creating a shortage of weight transfer to the right side, causing the kart to lose front grip, causing a push/drift from center off would that be a fair assumption? If so, that's the MAJOR problem I had with a PRC Recon...would it be safe to say that with the overall design and 1 1/4" tubing, it is too stiff a chassis? Conversely, I switched to Minecon, I'd say 99% if the time, I don't have an issue with "pining" the LF, many times I can feel the LF picking up , I can drive the LF over the white discs and not feel them....and the Minecon has been really consistently fast for me from the first time I put it on the track....I had never heard the term "pining the LF" but now having a better understanding, I see how if you're having it, major changes are in order....thx!
What weight class are you running?

Interesting question, spincycle. Why? Because, while I'm no expert, in 21 years in and following karting, I have never heard the term "pinning" used with regard to kart handling. Where did you here it used with respect to kart handling? Just curious.

A person selling a kart chassis I was looking at, they used the term "pining the LF" too much was why they were looking to sell...🤔

I see this is an old thread but I will add my .02. Back in the 90’s racing hobby stock pinning meant the wheel was stuck too tight on the ground. Pinning the left front would mean the left front is grabbing too much traction through the turns especially from center out. You wanted more down pressure on the front shocks to get into the turns and start a slide, what the kids these days call drift. About halfway off the turn you wanted the front left to lift to slow the “drift” and start gaining forward traction. If the front left was pinned or stuck to the ground the car would continue to slide coming off the corner making it hard to shoot the straightaway. Basically too much left front traction at the wrong times causing a loose condition coming off the turns. I would imagine it is similar in the karting world, meaning the left front is holding traction too long through the turn. The big cars were a lot different because of the suspension and how they took the turns, but to fix that you would soften the suspension on the right rear and/or the left front. Less down pressure left front and right rear. Again not sure how that would apply to karts or how to fix it in a kart. Less left side weight?

I see this is an old thread but I will add my .02. Back in the 90’s racing hobby stock pinning meant the wheel was stuck too tight on the ground. Pinning the left front would mean the left front is grabbing too much traction through the turns especially from center out. You wanted more down pressure on the front shocks to get into the turns and start a slide, what the kids these days call drift. About halfway off the turn you wanted the front left to lift to slow the “drift” and start gaining forward traction. If the front left was pinned or stuck to the ground the car would continue to slide coming off the corner making it hard to shoot the straightaway. Basically too much left front traction at the wrong times causing a loose condition coming off the turns. I would imagine it is similar in the karting world, meaning the left front is holding traction too long through the turn. The big cars were a lot different because of the suspension and how they took the turns, but to fix that you would soften the suspension on the right rear and/or the left front. Less down pressure left front and right rear. Again not sure how that would apply to karts or how to fix it in a kart. Less left side weight?
This is why we have removable washers in the front suspension.

To me "pinning the LF" can mean two different things.
1. The LF has a lot of grip but if does not "plant" the RR tire and the kart is loose.
2. The LF has a lot of grip and it also "plants" the RR. This can be good or bad.

Having said that, as long as you get the camber right of the LF, you can look elsewhere for handling issues so to speak.

Msquared

Back