LF Tire Prep

They say the left front tire is the tire that is needed the least. It is just along for the ride. It barely wears at all. So why are prepping all of our tires? I understand you dont want the LF to duro 65 or anything like that so I know we should put some prep on it to get it down around 50ish but is it neccasry to be doing your tire program on it. I have a prep routine for during the week, and at the races but is it necassary to do the left front. I dont understand why we do all of the work to the left front when it isnt needed very much.

everyone will approach this in there own way, but it didn't matter where i was going my left front got hit with the same prep the rest of my tires did. i would use the left front for 4-5 sets. i will roll it one time with 2-3 ounces depending on what i was trying to accomplish with the first set.

To put it to perspective. We Will spend a lot of money on engine to gain 1 , 2, 3 tenths of a second. Well prepping the least used tire is going to gain some reduction in lap time. Even if it is the least used.
Tires provide 100% of your grip. left front provides some of that grip. How much grip do you want to give up?

There's a reason you don't see dirt late models carrying the left front off the ground anymore. 4 tires handle better than 3
yep it's because I splained it to them. ... :)

Were on here talking about limited grip.
If you only need or USE the LF to start your turn then you can't start a turn without the LF.
If you ain't using it then you don't need it to grip.
But the case is its got to be ready to put the grip to the ground when you need it.

High Hp Super Lates and Winged Sprints can ONLY put the straight hp and acceleration to it that the fronts and ...(stagger) can turn the thing.
If you can't turn it you can't go fast.

Even with your low hp running on the ragged edge of being on rails, if engagement with the track banking when you need to start the turn ain't going to start you into the turn then the LF got to be able to do it.

With your normal high cross, low hp scenario's before turning your on the LF and LR and it's initial input at the LF that starts you winding the clock.

High hp Super Lates and more and more today Winged Sprints after turn in your banging/pushing/stuffing the camber on the RF into the track and digging in with camber dragging the LF across the track.

NO TURN up front and your not going to carry momentum or maximize acceleration.
Reduce the hp and everything still has to do the same for you, just it needs to do less of the same.

The limit of grip is the limit of grip no matter if you put yourself there along with lowered speed and grip or got the hp to do it.
And no matter WHAT you will never go faster without the grip to go you faster, even forgetting about hp.

It's about available hp, available grip and what you do with each that will make you fast and nothing else except the driver.

... and it don't matter if the driver is a 14 or 15. ... :)

If you think the LF doesnt do much, take it off and try without one time.
The LF usually is the softest tire on the kart, and it affects the handling of the kart and what effects it can play in other areas of the kart besides the LF. When you get to know what the LF can do, theres some good changes that may be made for speed potential. Now im not saying youre picking up half a second, or even a full tenth, but gains can be available.

While I'd suggest that the LF is the least worked, and probably the least important, tire on the kart, don't think for a minute that it's not important.
We prep ours to be the same duro and use the same prep on all four corners. It's an easy way to tell what corner of the car is being overworked if you can compare tire wear and (dare I say) tire temps. Small camber changes in the LF definitely affect corner entry. Same with caster, and that is all relative to available grip. Think of it this way: If your LF has no prep and no bite to it, then small changes need to become big changes before any difference in handling can be seen.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
32 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

My kart always handled the best with the left front off the ground. Ive never heard of anyone complaining of loose or tight...with the left front off the ground.

True story: AJ qualified @ a big 1/4 mile track with Burris Thunder Tour back 7 or 8 years ago with no LF even on the car. Not on purpose mind you, we were running aluminum lug nuts and he clipped a cone the first lap which stripped (or I didn't tighten them enough) the wheel and tire right off the kart on lap 1. Lap 2 was his faster lap and he didn't even notice the tire was gone until he turned right to pull off the track to the scale area. We were on high(er) cross, but certainly not as high as some manufacturers are now. That was on a big 20 second race track that takes little wheel input too.

Back