Liberty,ky

strong08

I heard there was several people running a softer tire at thanksgiving like around the 45-50 range is this true and how we'll did it work. My tires were around the 60 mark.

After the races, I finally got the setup pretty close and went back out to make some laps, even ran the "fun" races for the sweatshirts and won one of them, the tires I had on were 58, rolled internally with palmetto original 45cc, and I turned the fastest lap times that I had made all day in one of those races, which was 9.4. What were your lap times? Track was hard but had very little bite from what I could tell, there was a layer of sandy like stuff sitting on the top and made it hard to get hooked up good, even in the groove. If your referring to Thanksgiving Thunder, the tires they were on were maxxis, which are usually softer than Burris when it comes to duro, even for the same track conditions, from my experience. I think its because they need more internal prep.

One other thing, I also heard that some guys were on softer tires, one guy was supposedly on a set that were punching 38, which I cannot see that working at all considering the fact that I started with a set that were 50 and it fuzzed them up pretty good all the way across the tire, they were clearly too soft for the track at the time so I went harder and worked more bite into them with Trackside Fire

Just wondering ??? Seence this cart stuff seems to be all about tires and nothing else lol ! Why would anyone tell the truth about what they did really use and it does not seem that the duro #s dont mean **** b cus of all the prep **** everyone seems not to be able to live without yea mr w. I already heard your opionion about me so i am sure i will hear your bs again lol!

JimD duro is very important with the tires,along with the correct prep,...(this cart stuff seems to be all about tires)...."cart stuff "is a complex endever,its not for everyone and honestly requires more attention to detail concerning the tires than full size dirt cars....ive done both,just sold my last open wheel modified last spring,so i can tell you i work alot harder on my son kart tires than my mod tires.....if you dont learn a tire/prep program,and race where theres some good competition your gonna be at the back of the pack or in the way......fyi,mr.weddle is someone who will help with tire info and no bs......

JimD duro is very important with the tires,along with the correct prep,...(this cart stuff seems to be all about tires)...."cart stuff "is a complex endever,its not for everyone and honestly requires more attention to detail concerning the tires than full size dirt cars....ive done both,just sold my last open wheel modified last spring,so i can tell you i work alot harder on my son kart tires than my mod tires.....if you dont learn a tire/prep program,and race where theres some good competition your gonna be at the back of the pack or in the way......fyi,mr.weddle is someone who will help with tire info and no bs......

Thanks, I do try at least but some just dont want to learn, like you see above

Just wondering ??? Seence this cart stuff seems to be all about tires and nothing else lol ! Why would anyone tell the truth about what they did really use and it does not seem that the duro #s dont mean **** b cus of all the prep **** everyone seems not to be able to live without yea mr w. I already heard your opionion about me so i am sure i will hear your bs again lol!

Someone who is actually trying to help you, like most people on here, wont lead you the wrong way about what they used or use, or what was done to their tires. Now, if your at a race and ask one of the fast guys, you may get a strait answer and you may get an answer that will throw you out in left field, it depends on who you ask, so you have to pay attention to who is willing to help and who isn't before you go ask. If the person you ask knows you aren't going to be their competition, such as someone who is running a different class than you but same tires and engine, they are far more likely to give you accurate advice than if you were to ask the guy who is winning or leading in the classes your running in.

Jim d..... I don't know the circumstances but Mr. Weddle has gone above and beyond to help me in any question I have asked thus far on this forum. Look at my started threads. He is on all of them. The man is full of knowledge and willing to share it. It makes it possible for still learning guys like myself to gain knowledge in the areas that are more sensitive than just putting a kart on the track and driving. ie. He helped me with tire preps, engine rebuilding and specifications. You know the "secret" stuff

Last edited:
Jim d..... I don't know the circumstances but Mr. Weddle has gone above and beyond to help me in any question I have asked thus far on this forum. Look at my started threads. He is on all of them. The man is full of knowledge and willing to share it. It makes it possible for still learning guys like myself to gain knowledge in the areas that are more sensitive than just putting a kart on the track and driving. ie. He helped me with tire preps, engine rebuilding and specifications. You know the "secret" stuff

Thank you, its nice to know someone appreciates the help and can make it useful. I try to help anyone, even if they are my competition. If i cant, i can point them to someone who can

After the races, I finally got the setup pretty close and went back out to make some laps, even ran the "fun" races for the sweatshirts and won one of them, the tires I had on were 58, rolled internally with palmetto original 45cc, and I turned the fastest lap times that I had made all day in one of those races, which was 9.4. What were your lap times? Track was hard but had very little bite from what I could tell, there was a layer of sandy like stuff sitting on the top and made it hard to get hooked up good, even in the groove. If your referring to Thanksgiving Thunder, the tires they were on were maxxis, which are usually softer than Burris when it comes to duro, even for the same track conditions, from my experience. I think its because they need more internal prep.

One other thing, I also heard that some guys were on softer tires, one guy was supposedly on a set that were punching 38, which I cannot see that working at all considering the fact that I started with a set that were 50 and it fuzzed them up pretty good all the way across the tire, they were clearly too soft for the track at the time so I went harder and worked more bite into them with Trackside Fire

Just because you internally roll a tire with more prep doesnt mean that tire is gonna be softer.....just an fyi

Also just because your tires "fuzz" doesnt mean you are too soft for conditions. It could mean your too aggresive on your pre race wipe.

No one is gonna tell you the truth aniut what they are doing to there tires. Especially the ones who run up front in the classes that actually put up the money to win.... not for a shirt.....

Just because you internally roll a tire with more prep doesnt mean that tire is gonna be softer.....just an fyi

Also just because your tires "fuzz" doesnt mean you are too soft for conditions. It could mean your too aggresive on your pre race wipe.

No one is gonna tell you the truth aniut what they are doing to there tires. Especially the ones who run up front in the classes that actually put up the money to win.... not for a shirt.....

I did not say anything about a tire being softer if you roll more internal prep, i know that is not the case. I was referring to the maxxis needing to be prepped more heavily than burris to work for the same type of conditions you would use a burris on, not just internally but externally. Sorry if i made that sound as if it meant internally only. I know at a local track with an open tire rule, we used Burris that were 54-58 duro most days, but the maxxis would not be fast there at that duro, they had to be softer to be fast, that was just my experience with them. I dont use maxxis, only ran them a few times to see how they would do at that one track, burris were faster there and always have been, so thats what i stuck with, like everyone else does.

The person who told me about the tires that were real soft at 38, was not a racer and was not racing, he was helping someone at the track and is a good friend of mine who has helped me out alot in the past and taught me alot of what i know about tires, he has never led me wrong so i have no reason not to believe him. I just found it hard to believe that anyone was on tires that were 38 when i know for a fact one of the guys there who won in a couple of the classes wasnt on tires anywhere near the 30's. His crew chief and engine man is a very good friend and mentor of mine and the guy who helps him in the pits is a very close friend of the family.

rolled internally with 45cc, and I turned the fastest lap times that I had made all day in one of those races, which was 9.4.

There is a reason this is the case.
Talk to a Maxxis tire guy as to why and you will kill the guys on Burris

the tires they were on were maxxis, which are usually softer than Burris when it comes to duro, even for the same track conditions, from my experience.

This may be true, but it isn't because of the following

I think its because they need more internal prep.

And if you would rather research it on your own, Earl has discussed this before on here. And Daniel Hindre had a good short thread discussing it.

Back