Lift??

KARTERUS

Just started doing my own engine build and trying to get my lift right...073 cam with a .002 lash but only getting a max lift of .227...any ideas on cause?? Valve Seat to far down possibly?? Any advice id appreciate!!

Looks like .2325 lift so you're only .0035 short with .002 lash. Could be slightly worn or under ground cam or possibly your not getting an accurate measurement. If it was mine I wouldn't lose any sleep over .0035 unless something looked worn out or chewed up. Never built a flat so maybe someone else will chime in.

Looks like .2325 lift so you're only .0035 short with .002 lash. Could be slightly worn or under ground cam or possibly your not getting an accurate measurement. If it was mine I wouldn't lose any sleep over .0035 unless something looked worn out or chewed up. Never built a flat so maybe someone else will chime in.
Thanks!! I mean its not alot but still seems like I could get more of power for that

Not an expert but I'd bet even on a dyno you have a hard time telling the difference of .0035 lift.

Equipment quality and set up , could be an error there .
The thing is Under is legal over is illegal .
Did you measure the cam before the install ?

Not an expert but I'd bet even on a dyno you have a hard time telling the difference of .0035 lift.

Equipment quality and set up , could be an error there .
The thing is Under is legal over is illegal .
Did you measure the cam before the install ?
No I did not... Im going to order more of the correct tools...and learn more on what to measure other then setting lash and expecting to be dead on...basically throwing it together

Another thing . These new cams float the valves .
They are full open when floating , not at the measured lift .

I'm learning lol...and I just got my degree wheel so the right tools make the difference!! I appreciate the replies and info...figured I learn off a flathead before jumping to a more of a overthinking build!! Ive been doing ALOT of reading.

You may have had some base circle runout. Not uncommon. Also, profiles (and even lift) can vary from one block to the next. Consider that the valves are angled 3* from the lifter and are not parallel unless you have had the block welded and the lifter bores lined.

In my opinion, flatheads are considerably harder to build (correctly) for power than any of the current overhead valve engines used in karting.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
32 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Replies
You may have had some base circle runout. Not uncommon. Also, profiles (and even lift) can vary from one block to the next. Consider that the valves are angled 3* from the lifter and are not parallel unless you have had the block welded and the lifter bores lined.

In my opinion, flatheads are considerably harder to build (correctly) for power than any of the current overhead valve engines used in karting.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
32 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com
Alot is me being too tideious

Check the lift with no lash and see where it max, if cutting valves and lifters to achieve the lash, lots of times I have seen that not using a cutting block to keep the cuts true to 90* can cause variations in running lift.

Back