Lightest brake rotor

Kgarner23

Has anybody done any research to find the lightest brake rotor and brake rotor hub? (excluding carbon fiber or exotic metals).

1/8 inch thick aluminum drilled like swiss cheese..use for 1 race then throw away........ and bolt on another for next race.

You're trying to stop about a 360 pound kart. How much difference could a lighter break disc make? I have a feeling no difference.

Thanks George Bark. Exactly what I was looking for. Not trying to skimp on safety, just trying to lighten things up. Al Nunley please show me some research that shows more rotational weight on an underpowered karts axle is an advantage.

Thanks George Bark. Exactly what I was looking for. Not trying to skimp on safety, just trying to lighten things up. Al Nunley please show me some research that shows more rotational weight on an underpowered karts axle is an advantage.
who said that?
And if you will reread my post; how much difference could a lighter break disc make? I have a feeling no difference.

I could care less what anybodies feelings are about it. That wasn't my original question. Thats the problem with message boards. Very rarely is the original question answered without everyone taking their own stance on things. All I wanted to know is if anybody had put in the time to find the lightest brake rotor and hub. If somebody had, it would save me from ordering various different rotors and weighing them all. Luckily for me somebody has done the research and provided me with an answer.

I went to: http://georgebark.com/6-Ultralite-Ro...ULTRALITE6.htm

I've never decided for myself which way you should put a slotted rotor on. Do you put it on so the slots point in the direction of forward motion or the other way. One way I see the slots grabbing air and grabbing the pads better, but maybe it's too much grab and the rotor will run cooler the other way. If you've tried it either way, which way did you find best because... ?

Slots should be in the backwards motion. It will cool the best. As far as the pads garbing there's no difference forward or backward because of the lack of surface area.

so... should the slots on the top of the rotor when installed, point to the back? I think your saying they should, just making sure.

The lightest one made probably has the very best braking force available....it is ceramic coated titanium and is however, very expensive.
I have one on my open kart (and on our sprint cars.)
With the price that some are getting for their big vented rotors now, maybe the coated rotors will be a viable option in the future.

-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz

www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on FaceBook
29 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Back