limited lift?

Joel C

been out for a long time, watching some youtube videos and it sounds like lifting before the corner is no more, how so? chassis design? or just the way drivers drive today.
Joel

Tires, chassis designs, tire prep help and support and a lot of years of increased knowledge of how karts work play heavily into these things being pretty easy to drive (when they're right) wide open.

Not all tracks are like that. Where we run Predator and Jr classes run flat out. Adult clones lift briefly. Limiteds and opens lift early.

ok, watching frank's videos i seen a number of limited/open that it sounded like no lifting in cornering. i've been out over 10yrs so i thought maybe there's a new way for chassis or tires that the mods power is handled without the kart"setting" .

Totally depends on track and track condition and flathead vs animal limited. Just because you don't hear them lift doesn't mean they're not riding the break through the corner which is a popular method. some feel lifting builds up methanol in the carb and rockets you out of the corner when you hit the hammer. different strokes for different folks. I will say at the Wayne Overton ws the first time my tires felt HOT like you could not keep you hand on them after limited qualifying. the promoter added a chemical to the track and track records were set all day long .. suspicious his son won everything that day

Totally depends on track and track condition and flathead vs animal limited. Just because you don't hear them lift doesn't mean they're not riding the break through the corner which is a popular method. some feel lifting builds up methanol in the carb and rockets you out of the corner when you hit the hammer. different strokes for different folks. I will say at the Wayne Overton ws the first time my tires felt HOT like you could not keep you hand on them after limited qualifying. the promoter added a chemical to the track and track records were set all day long .. suspicious his son won everything that day
What's is this chemical added to track you speak of?

What's is this chemical added to track you speak of?
I can't speak specifically for this race, but typically calcium is added. When it is applied correctly, hang on -- it will bite up big time. Expect to be up a tooth on driver from your normal gearing at the same track without calcium.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
www.youtube.com
34 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

I was told the track was treated with a Track Tac product to hold moisture. it wasn't calcium
I've heard of this before. I didn't realize track tac made a version. I believe I've heard the sketchy/cheap way is dish soap in the water truck. Doing a quick google on this dish soap theory it looks like gardeners use this trick to get water to absorb into soil better.

Edit: yeah here's a thread talking about the TT chemical you referenced as well as the soap method. https://4cycle.com/karting/threads/track-prep.76868/

been out for a long time, watching some youtube videos and it sounds like lifting before the corner is no more, how so? chassis design? or just the way drivers drive today.
Joel
The trick is getting the kart to stick and turn in the same breath.and throw manufacturers numbers in the trash.start with low left side and work your way up.

Hmmm. I raced a 1/8th mile flat asphalt oval years ago like 2010. Didnt matter if it was a limited or an open I used the engine to brake kart to the apex. My throttle plate was adjusted to not idle. If my open flathead got below 7000 rpms in the apex it would be a slow lap. I would lift at 10,000 rpms. I hear big tracks you may not drop 500 rpms through the turns. Honestly I dont know. I have no big track experience. Nowadays you can go on the internet and watch the cup race through a drivers car. The only thing you can hear is the motor. Last time I watched a race through the drivers car was Atlanta. I had no idea. The rpms cant be dropping more than 500 rpms from what I am hearing, Its amazing.

Last edited:
Back