Limited Mod Alky Oil

Slack2014

Oil recommendation , I want to run FHS just price point is a killer. Builder steered me clear of thor heavy. Thank you in advance

62R or Briggs/Amsoil 4T.
No problem with Thor heavy -- They had a problem many years ago with some water in their oil and kept that bad wrap ever since.
Whatever oil you use, change it often - that's the key, in my opinion.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
31 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Just go to Walmart and find the cheap stuff.
Just like you do for your Corvette, Right?

No sarcasm intended.
My attempt a humor. ;)

Last edited:
I have been a huge supporter of the Amsoil 4T and i still am. It provides excellent protection against wear and includes other features such as rust inhibitors.
However, i have discovered another oil that i have tested in multiple customer engines during last years summer racing season with great success.
I have also performed many, many back to back to back Dyno tests that have shown quite remarkable horsepower gains.
If you want more information give me a call.
920-207-9180

62R or Briggs/Amsoil 4T.
No problem with Thor heavy -- They had a problem many years ago with some water in their oil and kept that bad wrap ever since.
Whatever oil you use, change it often - that's the key, in my opinion.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
31 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Changing often isn't a issue , just looking for another alternative. NOT sae automotive not oil illiterate. Was asking for a few good performing oils for a bigger motor. I got a deal on FHS cheaper than I can get 4T at my employe price as a amsoil dealer.

Changing often isn't a issue , just looking for another alternative. NOT sae automotive not oil illiterate. Was asking for a few good performing oils for a bigger motor. I got a deal on FHS cheaper than I can get 4T at my employe price as a amsoil dealer.

I'm not suggesting that you are oil illiterate. I have no idea what you know about oils, other than you asked for suggestions.
62R is good stuff. I wouldn't use any other FHS products in a big open though.
If you're looking for "cheaper" then just stay with the Thor heavy.
62R or 4T would still be my choice.

I'm not suggesting that you are oil illiterate. I have no idea what you know about oils, other than you asked for suggestions.
62R is good stuff. I wouldn't use any other FHS products in a big open though.
If you're looking for "cheaper" then just stay with the Thor heavy.
62R or 4T would still be my choice.

I've always ran FHS 84p5 in mine, now that its more of an open engine, i may need to reconsider.... 62R is your recommendation Brian?

Really? You can run any of them 100 laps or more .
Its just not recomended .
You have no oil filter and contamination of the oil with methanol .

Changing 4T every 30 laps is quite excessive.
The other 2 oils are PAG oils and are hygroscopic (attract / absorb water)
4T is not.

On a related subject, disposal, we have found that our used kart oil makes great oil for the chain oiler system on our chain saws, so whatever brand you use, that makes a useful way to recycle it.

The nice thing about 4T oil is that it turns milky as it gets methanol mixed with it.
The more milky it gets the more alcohol there is in it.
The clear oils like FHS mix so readily with methanol it will look like there is not alcohol in it.
It's like putting water in white lightning, gin or vodka,. You can't tell how much water is in it.

Good Catch Joe. I was thinking of a 206.
I have customers that had 206 motors with the original short block that were lucky if the oil got changes every 2 weeks.

If you are racing a mod with a fat carb on methanol it depends on how much methanol is getting in the oil or how much is going out the tail pipe.
Some really big HP motors that get a lot on fuel in the crankcase might need it changed even sooner than 30 laps. How big is the track, how many cautions, how lone it was idled during those cautions and so on.

The kind of oil you use is also a factor.

Back