Little oil seepage

Lkerley

Noticed a very small amount of oil seeping in the fin area where one of the pockets is cut for a head bolt really just an oily film on the fins.is this normal.

It could be cut too deep and leaking once there is crankcase pressure (ie running.)
It could also be a stress crack from welding the lifter bore area - see this many times and is easily fixed with some quality epoxy.
Could be a fly-side oil seal. Usually this is whipped around everywhere though.

-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
30 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Brian i took the bolt out and ran the high temp rtv on it like you said and doesnt leak now and i ran alot today alot of high rpm reving to.no signs of leaking at the mating surface either?? Whatcha think..preciate the help thks a bunch

It could be cracked at the threads (seen this before too.)
Look very closely between then sleeve and the threads and see if there isn't a crack or stress fracture (vertically.)

Just for extra insurance, I'd throw a stock graphite (soft) Briggs gasket on it as well -- they conform to some deck irregularities better than the stiffer (Cometic mls, FelPro, metal-clad, etc) gaskets do.

If you've got a good flat & smooth RA finish on both the block and head, then I prefer the Cometic or Fel-Pro gaskets.

Glad it's runnin' good for you either way.

Back