LO 206 Gas

You might check the track you are planning to run at as some tracks have fuel requirements (at least for race days). For practice it doesn't matter but I would personally stay away from ethanol blends as they have historically been bad for carbs.

87 octane with ethanol. You have to run richer carb settings with Gas/ethanol. Remember that!! Alki, by itself, runs best at around 6 – 1, while gas burns best at around 14 – 1. I think most try to run it with the same jets as straight gas. I'm almost positive that's why they get less performance. And yes, alcohol is hard on aluminum parts if you leave it set. Most people have straight gas available to wash the engine out after the race. After all is said and done, you may not notice any difference anyway, so you could run the 91 octane.
"It's called tuning, and tuning is tough." (Al Nunley)

Track uses Briggs rules with no required gas station or other standard other than it pass Digitron sniffer and hydrometer. Really just wondering if use of small amount of ethanol is worth the maintenance nuisance.

Track uses Briggs rules with no required gas station or other standard other than it pass Digitron sniffer and hydrometer. Really just wondering if use of small amount of ethanol is worth the maintenance nuisance.
They use a gauge to tell if you're running anything Other than legal fuel. Does the gas/alcohol pass the test?

Actual local organization rules use briggs and KART rules-- NO additives of any kind are allowed. All 4 cycle classes must use gas station pump gas( must retain natural color) NO racing gas, NO adding of methanol or any other liquid fuel ( must remain as it came from the pump ) water testing and lab testing may be done. Penalty for illegal fuel is a non - droppable disqualification. Sorry for not being more specific, again, just wondering if there is any real reason to assume the extra maintenance required by the ethanol

Actual local organization rules use briggs and KART rules-- NO additives of any kind are allowed. All 4 cycle classes must use gas station pump gas( must retain natural color) NO racing gas, NO adding of methanol or any other liquid fuel ( must remain as it came from the pump ) water testing and lab testing may be done. Penalty for illegal fuel is a non - droppable disqualification. Sorry for not being more specific, again, just wondering if there is any real reason to assume the extra maintenance required by the ethanol
I would suggest disassembling your Carb after every race weekend and cleaning it out with carb cleaner regardless of what fuel you run.

Back