LO 206 rules

Most of the sanctioning bodies follow the Briggs rules currently.
I don't suspect that will change much even with WKA getting back into the fun.
Some series (specifically different style cars - Slingshots, mini-wedges, winged outlaw karts, and some champ karts) allow minor differences such as pipe, air filter, and/or clutch.

Many of us have had discussions going back to the early days of the 206 about having a national standard of tech procedures and training up qualified tech men. The idea was to raise up regional tech instructors and use them as a means of standardizing, equipping, organizing, and fielding questions better/quicker.

Dave K. was at the helm of Briggs Motorsports at the time and things just never got rolling from the factory side, as Dave recognized the problem but obviously wasn't going to be the one to initiate it.
Dan has too much on his plate currently to take on qualifying and consolidating tech and instructions.
While it might seem best if Briggs (writer of the rules) were to oversee the accreditation of tech officials, in reality, we couldn't just all wait for that to happen (and may never happen.)

I took up the challenge several years ago, in conjunction with Lewis Stout & AKRA, teaching a tech seminar for the LO206 at the OVKA show, and then added the Tennessee show to that as well with Briggs' blessing. I also am available to come to your track to train local tech by appointment.

Steve Vermeer (CKNA Series) has also taken up the challenge to train up tech men. He and Bob Scott (also very qualified) have teamed up to put on a tech seminar at OVKA this year as well.

I'm not sure how they didn't know that I do one there each year, but like I said, it is what it is.

My tech seminar is primarily aimed at raising up and accrediting track and series tech officials, but racers are also welcome to attend.
Here's a few pictures of tech seminars that I've led so you can get an idea of how it is not only instruction, but hands on with plenty of Q&A and a short exam if you want tech accreditation.
1.jpeg

OVKA206Tech1.jpeg
OVKATech4.jpeg

If anyone has any questions about our tech seminar, please feel free to call us at the shop, email me, or drop me a note on here or through our Facebook page.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
33 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

I have a retired mechanic and kart owner (understatement, dude owns 20 karts) who is interested in getting involved in Lo206 tech. Can you pm me with who I can put him in touch with to get started? He was just asking me the other day, but I know nobody who operates in that space.

Will the specs of these guages be made open so they can be easily duplicated and replicated from tech barn to tech barn?
Go here to find copy of the rules and information on 206 maintance & tuning.

https://www.briggsracing.com/support.

Click on this to go direct to the USA LO 206 Rules PDF:
2021 206 UNITED STATES RULE SET UPDATE 8/20/2021

One could use a set of snap gauges, one inch micrometer, dial caliper, depth micometer to do a lot. Go-No tools make the process quick and easy. You can set up the snap gagues to use as Go-No Go or measure direct and do the math. Fine for your personal use or if thats all you have.
The investment in tools are well worth it. If you have the means to make your own, please do! If you have some ideas please share, don’t be shy.

To all:
To all you guys teaching and working to make this deal work, I salute you! I hope to be of use and assistance.

Credit to Briggs & Stratton for time and effort to create this rule set and making all this information available to the public at no charge.

Some of you may know Tom Speaks, I had the privilege of being teched by him and later working tech with him. Tom told me this, in not necessarily these exact words, the meaning was clear.

Being a tech person is a big responsibility. Often a thankless job. You are not looking for a reason to toss a racer out. Your purpose is to validate a winner!

Tom always congradulated and shook the hand of the winners when they passed. He was especially proud of the Jr racers and always had words of encouragement for them.

From that experiance and adopting my own style I adopted the quote used in the movie Full Metal Jacket. It has become my techman motto:

Here you are all equally worthless!"
— Gunnery Sergeant Hartman
See you around,
B

Go here to find copy of the rules and information on 206 maintance & tuning.

https://www.briggsracing.com/support.

Click on this to go direct to the USA LO 206 Rules PDF:
2021 206 UNITED STATES RULE SET UPDATE 8/20/2021

One could use a set of snap gauges, one inch micrometer, dial caliper, depth micometer to do a lot. Go-No tools make the process quick and easy. You can set up the snap gagues to use as Go-No Go or measure direct and do the math. Fine for your personal use or if thats all you have.
The investment in tools are well worth it. If you have the means to make your own, please do! If you have some ideas please share, don’t be shy.

To all:
To all you guys teaching and working to make this deal work, I salute you! I hope to be of use and assistance.

Credit to Briggs & Stratton for time and effort to create this rule set and making all this information available to the public at no charge.

Some of you may know Tom Speaks, I had the privilege of being teched by him and later working tech with him. Tom told me this, in not necessarily these exact words, the meaning was clear.

Being a tech person is a big responsibility. Often a thankless job. You are not looking for a reason to toss a racer out. Your purpose is to validate a winner!

Tom always congradulated and shook the hand of the winners when they passed. He was especially proud of the Jr racers and always had words of encouragement for them.

From that experiance and adopting my own style I adopted the quote used in the movie Full Metal Jacket. It has become my techman motto:

Here you are all equally worthless!"
— Gunnery Sergeant Hartman
See you around,
B
That’s awesome.

Yea just like the house and the senate.;)
Maybe Look north of the border.

Made this post yesterday but i must have forgot to click on "POST REPLY"
1644464981468.png

As CKNA continues to grow, we have been looking for new regions that already have die-hard Briggs racers that would appreciate our trademark family friendly 4-cycle only events.. Canada has been on the top of the list for a few years due to the many 4-cycle drivers already racing there, and the high caliber of drivers that compete in the category throughout the country.
The dream of bringing CKNA events to Canada began to become a reality at the beginning of the year. CKNA owners Greg Jasperson and Steve Vermeer sat down with long time friend and Canadian Karting contact Gerald Caseley at Winter Nationals to touch base on multiple topics regarding both the Canadian and US karting markets. Shortly into those meetings, the concept of uniting both countries under a singular set of rules became the main topic of discussion. Everybody agreed that the benefits to the racers on both side of the border were huge. Only three weeks later, the decision was made to launch our third Divisional Series, Cup Karts Canada.
We are extremely pleased to welcome Gerald Caseley to the CKNA family as the Cup Karts Canada Director. Gerald is a fixture in the Canadian Karting community, and a highly respected expert in Briggs racing.
Gerald and his team will be working side by side the CKNA National staff to develop and run the Cup Karts Canada Division.
For the 2022 season, Cup Karts Canada will be hosting two divisional races. Event 1 will be June 24th-26th and Event 2 will be July 22nd-24th. More details about the Canadian Division will be announced in the coming weeks, including the locations of the two 2022 races.

Just like CKNA has done in the past, there will be some rules accommodations for the Canada Division. Those details are still being sorted to ensure that the only deviations from the main CKNA rules are ones that will assist the drivers in the Canadian market transition into the series. The long term goal is to have one universal set of rules for all CKNA drivers at all events.

Back