LO206 asphalt axle

ClayBo2009

My son's 2019 Comet Eagle (LO206) has a 1 1/4" axle that he runs mainly on asphalt road tracks in the SE. Many (most) of the karts I see at the track are running "beefier" axles - presumably 40mm and 50mm. Based on all the little stuff we do to take stiffness out of the kart (with bumper, floor plate, side pod bolts, etc), I figured I'd see more 1 1/4" axles out there. Unfortunately, we don't have a pit crew or a huge parts budget, and the 1 1/4" came with the kart, so I'm just wanting to run an axle that can hang in "average" track conditions (if such a thing exists) so we can focus on driving technique, air pressure, gear ratio, etc. He runs the Junior class, the overall rear width is currently set to 50", and the kart handles pretty well, so I'm not necessarily looking for a reason to swap axles - just curious more than anything. Seems like a proper axle for low HP and the Junior slide - but we're pretty new to this... Looking forward to any comments. Thanks!

40mm would be a nice balance of flexibility and strength, and a ready supply of used parts as most sprint karts have gone 50mm. But it really depends on your track, chassis, and driver what's preferred. As always, the stopwatch is the judge.

We replaced our 50mm with a soft 40mm axle on our Tonykart. Also have 6 inch wide MG reds, a super soft Tillet seat and loose rear bumper. Scrubs off less speed in the turns.

I'd calling Comet Kart Sales and speaking with Gary Lawson. He will certainly know what direction you should take.
Clark Gaynor Sr.

I'd calling Comet Kart Sales and speaking with Gary Lawson. He will certainly know what direction you should take.
Clark Gaynor Sr.
^^^^^ This right here because depending on the chassis construction and material a softer axle could free it up or a hard axle. Gary is your go to on the eagle.

The 1 1/4” axle generally has more grip than the 40mm you’ll see in most eagles. Depending on your class weight and grip levels at your track it may not be worth the investment for you. 50” is pretty wide for that axle. Obviously run whatever you find works best but I would try 49” if you haven’t and your driver isn’t really tall. Message me if you have any questions

Gary Lawson

Back