lo206 - Between Seasons Tune-up / Maintenance

Slick27

After a full season on asphalt over the winter what should be done to my lo206?

Top end tune up? etc.

Thanks in advance

After a full season on asphalt over the winter what should be done to my lo206?

Top end tune up? etc.

Thanks in advance

Yep, and then some.

$135-$150 for a complete rebuild (parts & labor) for your LO206.
If you want it tuned on the dyno, that's an add'l $85 (incl. fuel and oil.)

We have some customers that want to do more of the work themselves and save some money.
That's fine too -- just send us the head and we'll freshen it up and send it right back (Most times the same day!)

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
30 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Engine Storage
Disconnect the fuel line to the cab and shake or blow the fuel out of the fuel pump and fuel line. Leave the fuel line off the carb until all the gas evaporates out of the fuel line.
Take the large brass plug out of the bottom of the carb to drain all the gas out of the carb.
Squirt WD 40 in the carb until it runs out of the bottom of the carb. Put the brass plug back in and squirt some more WD 40 in the carb. Put the fuel line back on the carb or put a rubber boot over the fuel inlet of the carb.
Drain the oil overnight. Replace the drain plug and put in 14 ounces of fresh / New Briggs racing oil. Remove the spark plug and put 2 or 3 squirts of oil in the cylinder. Tip the engine upside down and roll around to spread oil around the inside of the motor. Pull the recoil over 3 times the put the spark plug back in. Leave the engine on the end of the compression stroke at TDC.
Tape the valve cover vent, the carb and the muffler with duct tape to keep moisture and critters out.
Thoroughly wash the air filter with hot soapy water from the inside out. Blow dry with an air hose from the inside out.
Store everything (engine and kart) in a dry environment.
This is a good time to clean the entire chassis and inspect for any possible damage
This is also a good time to replace the throttle cable and outer housing. The chain and sprockets are another good thing to inspect and replace if necessary.

Yep, and then some.

$135-$150 for a complete rebuild (parts & labor) for your LO206.
If you want it tuned on the dyno, that's an add'l $85 (incl. fuel and oil.)

We have some customers that want to do more of the work themselves and save some money.
That's fine too -- just send us the head and we'll freshen it up and send it right back (Most times the same day!)

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
What is the cost on getting the head gone through along with the items needed to reassemble it?

Head gasket
Valve cover gasket
Rocker stud plate gasket
New valve springs
New spark plug
Clean parts
Professionally machine valve seats with industrial quality equipment
Grind valve seats (by hand) with industrial quality grinding equipment.
Assemble head and air pressure test for ZERO leakage.
If it has any leakage it doesn't get shipped.
We do the best possible work in the world.
We have a special process that gives you the most legal HP available anywhere !!! Your used head will be better than new !!
$90.00 maximum charge.
If you need additional parts or work such as remove broken bolts or thread repair its an additional charge.
If you want cheap go someplace else. ;)

Head gasket
Valve cover gasket
Rocker stud plate gasket
New valve springs
New spark plug
Clean parts
Professionally machine valve seats with industrial quality equipment
Grind valve seats (by hand) with industrial quality grinding equipment.
Assemble head and air pressure test for ZERO leakage.
If it has any leakage it doesn't get shipped.
We do the best possible work in the world.
We have a special process that gives you the most legal HP available anywhere !!! Your used head will be better than new !!
$90.00 maximum charge.
If you need additional parts or work such as remove broken bolts or thread repair its an additional charge.
If you want cheap go someplace else. ;)
How much for a gone through head out of your stock either new or refreshed used?

What is the cost on getting the head gone through along with the items needed to reassemble it?
We charge $35 to disassemble, ultra-sonic clean, Serdi finish seats and valves, and reassemble.
We prefer to put new springs in while it is apart.
Obviously if it needs a valve guide or other damage repaired, that would be add'l.
Any add'l parts are billed separately.
Billing address is below.
Credit and bank debit cards accepted.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
215 N. High St.
Linden, IN 47955
765-339-4407

How much for a gone through head out of your stock either new or refreshed used?
If you want the best head possible you want to refresh a seasoned head.
In my opinion, the best head is one that has been run hard for at least 1/2 a season OR MORE and then refreshed.
In my opinion, a brand new head is very good for about that long but then it can be made better by servicing properly.
On one hand i'd love to tell you exactly how we do our heads but on the other hand i don't want it to become common knowledge. Some things i just don't want to share.
A new head is $130.00
I don't have any fresh seasoned heads in stock. They are all on motors.
You can either send me your head or you can send me the complete motor.
To do your head, out the door will be less than $90.00 plus $12.00 - 3 day shipping back to you.
If you want to send me the complete motor it's usually around $250.00 plus shipping back to you.
That includes the complete valve job, carb cleaning and carb set up dyno tuning and valve adjustment after it has been run and things have settled in again.
Jim

It's a lawn mower engine!

Put some staybil in it, run it some and throw it in the shed till spring.

If it don't run right in the spring then worry bout it. ... :)

I would strongly suggest you don't follow that advise.
And it's not a lawnmower engine.

This will be Jimbo and Brian in about 70 days ;)
10dymq.jpg

Yea, Mike, that's right.
Actually, we've been busy all fall and winter this year. Much busier than I anticipated. Hopefully that's a sign of continued growth of our sport and our business. We are way behind already, and the real rush doesn't start until the first week of February, when swap meet season kicks into gear.
At least the 206 isn't as time intensive as the flatheads to rebuild, although we are still building plenty of them too!

Mike
Good one! Thanks for the laugh. :giggle:
How true.
However, we are currently busy with the karting ice racing season, 206 snowmobile engine program, both stock and open engines, the indoor racing season and other new karting projects.
To their credit we have had quite number of our current customers already send their engines in for service and we have been able to return them in a short time.
I would encourage anyone that wants top quality, professional service to call, email or text me ASAP.
Jim
920-207-9180
fastermotors4@gmail.com

For those of us who don't have the original Briggs box anymore what is the best way to pack a 206 up for shipping? Drain all oil for sure - take the clutch off? clean the engine?

For those of us who don't have the original Briggs box anymore what is the best way to pack a 206 up for shipping? Drain all oil for sure - take the clutch off? clean the engine?

Original box is best -- BUT, if that is not available to you, consider making a shipping crate that the engine fastens to a piece of plywood, which then sits firmly at the bottom of a cardboard box or plastic tote.
If that's not an option, use a box inside of a box. Use crumpled cardboard or twisted newspaper between the two boxes.
DO NOT use styrofoam peanuts unless you have them in a separate container/trash bag around the engine.

Take the clutch and chain guard off (unless you want the clutch gone through at the same time.)
ABSOLUTELY clean the engine!!! PLEASE and pretty PLEASE!

and last but not least...
send it to:

Carlson Motorsports
215 N. High St.
Linden, IN 47955
765-339-4407 :)

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
31 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407

If you are sending me an engine please keep your clutch, chain guard, motor mount, air filter, pipe and muffler.
I have air filters, pipes and mufflers here to use and it saves you on the size and weight of your shipping box.
However, if you want me to refresh the clutch you can send it along also. I just need to know what class you are racing.
I'd suggest that for your second (outside) box you find one as small as possible to keep the weight and dimensions as small as possible.

For those in the mid-west states i'd suggest using SPEE-DEE DELIVERY SERVICE since UPS is out of control. You should be able to keep the weight of your engine package below 50 pounds even if you double box it.
The weight of a new engine in the Briggs shipping container is 37#

Please note:
UPS -- Additional Handling charges go up 4.3% (weight) and 5.3% (dimension) for UPS in 2020. However, a significant change for 2020 comes for Additional Handling (weight). This surcharge currently applies to packages over 70 pounds. However, in 2020, packages over 50 pounds (actual weight) will receive the $24 charge. Nov 25, 2019

In fact if you live just outside the border of one of the Spee-Dee states shown below it might be to your advantage to drive over the border to ship.
Please notice there is a small area around St Louis, Mo. that is included.
1579356988002.png

Last edited:
Back