Lo206 break in

tyreguy

Just got a NEW Lo206, briggs says to run the engine in with "break in oil". Im thinking that a quality 30 wieght will be ok. Or should a break in addative be added to this oil (Lucas)?

Use Briggs 4T racing oil made specifically for Briggs by Amsoil.
Amsoil also makes a break in oil.

Hey jimbo, I have a case of T4 ready to begin the season in Ocala FL but briggs says NO synthetic oil on break in
????

You could get the Amsoil break in oil from a local dealer or call me for it.

What information did you get with your engine from Briggs that says no synthetic oils for break in?

Jim (or others),

Anyone have a problem when switching from Amsoil break-in oil to the Amsoil/Briggs 4T? I didn't like what I saw and won't recommend using the Amsoil break-in oil for that reason.

I'd suggest starting with the 4T oil for break-in and running it always.

-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
26 years of service to the karting industry
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Thanks guys, I've always used sae 30 but it sounds like we have to do all we can with these lo206 engines.

What did you see Brian?
Like so many others I just use 4T for break in but I have the break in oil if someone wants it..

I wasn't impressed with the Amsoil break-in oil and how it mixes (or doesn't mix) with the 4T oil. A couple other builders have expressed similar sentiment.
Even an Amsoil rep. recommended not using the two back to back (that surprised me as well.)

I recommend using only the 4T oil.

If you are not using 4T oil, just be sure to continue to use the same oil throughout the service life of the engine. If you must change brands of oil, then be certain to flush out the crankcase thoroughly.

You are better off with the Briggs Amzoil. I was a happy customer of Thor but the Briggs Amzoil is way better. Tested and approved by many!

I have always used my "normal" racing oil and never had a problem.

Me too Jamie............. What's the difference between an animal engine that's broke in or not broke in.......? From what i can tell after about 2 minutes on the dyno they are ready for the race track at WOT no matter what kind of oil we use.

Steve

Nothing wrong with Thor Oil. That's fine -- my point was that whatever oil you choose, stick with that brand.
I do not use a separate break-in oil on the LO206 - I recommend breaking it in on the same oil you will race with.

I used to be a big believer in using a castor based oil for break-in before running synthetic...but any more I've gotten away from that routine.
The Amsoil break-in oil came out really "yucky" after changing over to 4T. I didn't feel comfortable suggesting that to customers who use Amsoil, so I recommend that they run the 4T only.

You are better off with the Briggs Amzoil. I was a happy customer of Thor but the Briggs Amzoil is way better. Tested and approved by many!

You say you were a happy customer with Thor, but the Briggs Amsoil is much better......In what way is the Briggs oil better?

Back