LO206 carburetor settings

rocketman, You have the adult black slide -- it is considerably shorter than the kid kart/rookie black slides.
You do not need to worry about checking slide height, or filing the cap for max opening, in the adult classes.

rocketman, You have the adult black slide -- it is considerably shorter than the kid kart/rookie black slides.
You do not need to worry about checking slide height, or filing the cap for max opening, in the adult classes.
I have a black slide, though I should have a yellow, because I'm in junior. I don't know which slide mine is. It's relatively big, but it is VERY slow. I'm hitting 50 MPH on the main straight, which is 2,980 ft. long, while the other juniors are getting around 65 MPH. My launch is also extremely slow, along with acceleration.

I’m guessing you have a kid kart slide for 5-8 year olds. Take off the filter and look at the opening at full throttle. It’s probably around .250”

We have been receiving a lot of calls about what are good settings for the Walbro PZ22 LO206 carb. Based on what we have found I am going to list them below as good starting points and will probably be fine for 90% of the times for Senior classes and for the green and yellow slides the only difference is we set the C-clip needle on slot #2 from the top.

Float height = .860 / .880 inch
Float drop = 1.050 inch
Idle air bleed screw = 1 turn out
C- clip needle setting = middle slot ( #3 slot )

Additional tech info from Briggs..........http://www.briggsandstratton.com/engines-racing/~/media/Racing/carbtuningguide.pdf

Steve
www.Bakerracingengines.com
Hi Steve, what should the idle be for these settings?

Looking for suggestions to see if I'm on the right path with my carb settings. Rules of the class are .310 long black slide with 6100 coil. Racing dirt oval wide open track.
My settings are....
.900 float height
1.050 float drop
#3 on the clip
Running 4700 rpm
Been playing with the mixture screw and it seems the more I turn it out the higher the rpm gain is while doing Brian's procedure he's posted on that.(thank you for that)
Just wondering if someone could tell me I'm in the right ballpark on where I need to be? It always seems to have gas coming out the overflow. I would appreciate any pointers to if I'm in the ballpark or if I'm out in left field with the gas coming out the overflow or how to fix it. Also kart doesn't seem to have the straightaway speed as some of the others in the class. Thanks!

Looking for suggestions to see if I'm on the right path with my carb settings. Rules of the class are .310 long black slide with 6100 coil. Racing dirt oval wide open track.
My settings are....
.900 float height
1.050 float drop
#3 on the clip
Running 4700 rpm
Been playing with the mixture screw and it seems the more I turn it out the higher the rpm gain is while doing Brian's procedure he's posted on that.(thank you for that)
Just wondering if someone could tell me I'm in the right ballpark on where I need to be? It always seems to have gas coming out the overflow. I would appreciate any pointers to if I'm in the ballpark or if I'm out in left field with the gas coming out the overflow or how to fix it. Also kart doesn't seem to have the straightaway speed as some of the others in the class. Thanks!
It sounds like the inlet needle is stuck open (if there is fuel coming out the overflow at an idle.)
If you are getting a small amount in the catch can through the course of a race, that's common on tight turns and/or rough track surfaces.
You're settings all sound fine to me.
I'd suggest cleaning the carb extremely well.
Replace the inlet needle.
Reassemble and reset floats and see if that doesn't fix it.

Other things to consider...inlet needle spring is malfunctioning (replacing the inlet needle fixes that,) head gasket leaking (very common on these engines,) change spark plug (possibly fouled and cheap fix,) and reroute your catch can lines - run your valve cover breather line into a separate catch can than the carb bowl overflow. Make sure that BOTH catch cans are well ventilated.

Thanks Brian. I should have rephrased that. I just notice the catch can going to the carb has gas in it after every race. It doesn't leak on the stand or at an idle. I will look into the inlet needle. Thank you!

Rough tracks can cause some fuel to overflow the bowl and get to the catch can.
Another thing would be if you use a 1-man electric kart lift stand -- the angle that they put the kart up and down is sufficient enough to cause fuel in the bowl to overflow and end up in your catch can.

Back