LO206 Engine Making Strange Noise

LukasEyth

My LO206 engine has been making a strange noise. It sounds like a "whoosh" or like what a blow off valve sounds like on a turbocharged car. It makes the noise when I am on the throttle. One of the local kart shop owners talked to me at a race and said that it might be clutch end play but he was not sure. Has anyone ever had this problem or know the solution to the problem?

sounds like air escaping .
My guess would be head gasket.
bad exhaust gasket tends to cause poping out the muffler.

Agree with Flattop, sounds like a head gasket. Look for signs of leakage or blow by where the head meets the cylinder. Usually some discoloration that will wipe away.

Look for this.
Blown_head_gasket-390x252.jpg

or this
Blown_Head_Gasket_001-420x247.jpg

Jimbo's pictures show it pretty well.
Right on top of the head, half way between the top two head bolts, is the weak spot in the head.
I've seen this many MANY times.

You should be able to feel the hot compression gasses escaping here while the engine is running (if the head gasket is bad.)

You mentioned endplay in the clutch...How much does it have?

-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
30 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Regular maintenance should be to remove the exhaust pipe, loosen the head bolt and then re torque to 210" lbs.

Regular maintenance should be to remove the exhaust pipe, loosen the head bolt and then re torque to 210" lbs.

Better yet would be to remove the head and replace the head gasket - that way you don't just keep compressing the corner of the head and gasket on the exhaust port corner.
I've gotten engines in for rebuilds that the upper left-hand bolt is finger tight -- obviously never retorqued or checked.
Maybe we can get Dave to add this to his "16 things" list. :)

Back