Lo206 ez start

John Cobb

I just built up a new short block, broke it in well and ran one 30 lap race on the motor, it ran well. This past weekend it was running well for about 5-6 laps and then slowed down , (Sr. 206) would only turn 4900 rpm, I pulled in and check throttle linkage etc. went back out and it ran well for 2 laps then went back to slow and after another lap it started making a ticking noise internally, I pulled the valve cover and check the lash and all was good. Would a unconnected ez start clip cause this and if so will it require another short block?

I would not think so, considering the design of the 206 compression release. I would look at carb or fuel. Is there some reason you suspect the compression release? The only way it could hurt performance is if it was engaged when it should not be, pretty unlikely.

IF your compression release has failed you will know it. It will be so hard to pull you will probably need shoulder surgery. These are things either I check or walk customers through. Is there anything unusual in the oil? If there is a noise check these,
Check to make sure it has compression by pulling the rope to TDC.
Make sure the coil hasn't slipped and rubbing the flywheel and that the plug wire is firmly connected to the coil and plug (push both in very hard)
Check the entire valve train to make sure the cylinder plate bolts are tight and rocker studs are tight.
Double check the lash.
Low rpm is usually carb
Clean the carb especially the pilot jet (very easy to get plugged
Change the plug.

I don't know if this is still a problem with the 206 but we had one where the cam was soft and the lobes of the cam wore down. Which caused our engine to slow tremendously. We had to send it back to Briggs. Check for metal shavings in oil

It would not be the compression relief. It would only effect the engine when pulling it over.
The cam issue has been solved for some time, the new cams have a much better hardening process. Have not seen much wear in several years.

The intermittent nature of the problem tends to indicate carb issues. I would start there. Make sure the choke lever is not coming up while on the track. It will cause an intermittent problem like you are describing.

I am not sure about the "ticking" sound as these engines make a lot of noise and you may be hearing it now just because your looking and listening for something. That said, check to make sure the coil has not slipped and making contact with the flywheel. Check head bolt torque and the rocker plate between the head and the rockers.

Much thanks to everyone, I at least have a good starting point and will go over each item. The head was torqued to 210 in. lbs.

Back