LO206 Fuel Overflow

spalding3320

This year I made the switch from flatheads to LO206 Motors. Last night was our first race and I noticed my catch cans were getting a lot of fuel out of the carb line. I've got a small travel size water bottle and it was 1/2 full after 2 races. Is it normal for this to kick out that much or do I need to make an adjustment? I checked with the other parents but I'm the only one I found using a catch can.

As a fair warning I'm motor illiterate. I know about enough to screw one up.

You can check this at home. Take the line outta the catch can & fire it up, let it run a couple min then turn it off. If it's leaking then you have to adjust your float.
Now, they will also leak when lifting your kart up to put on the stand if you don't lift evenly.
I don't run a catch can for fuel either, haven't seen many around here that do.

Imagine this.
Go to the local drive through and get a small Coke. No ice.
Put a 2" straw in the top and duct tape the Coke to the top of your engine.
Make 10 laps and see how much Coke is left in the cup.
The carb and the float bowl vents are very similar to this.
Now tell me that it isn't normal for some fuel to leak out of the float bowl.
It is not normal for fuel to continually run out of the hose.
Personally, i applaud Briggs being environmentally conscious by requiring the small amount of fuel leakage to be captured in a catch can.
If your car spilled even a very small amount of gas in your garage you'd smell it and probably take it in to be fixed.
Maybe you'd push the button on your garage door opener and Kaboom no more garage.

Briggs rules for the LO 206 requires the vent tube on the carb to be run to a catch can. Also the header to be wrapped all the way to the end of the muffler. Tracks should enforce these two items in the rule book. JMO

Back