LO206 - oil catch can install help

Double E Ranch

I am new to this motor. I have purchased an alum oil catch can. Can someone please give me so guidance on how to set this up. The one I purchased, has 3 inlets. I believe one is the inlet for the line coming from the valve cover. The one one the other end gets the petcock for draining. This one has an inlet on the side as well. This one has me stumped as to where it goes. The I would appreciate it, thank you.

do not put the hose from the carb in the catch can!!!
You will have carb problems if you do.
Just run a hose from the valve cover to the catch can and use the other fittings for vents.
run hoses from them to the ground or put filters on them to keep the dirt out.
Here's the system i make
http://www.fastermotors.net/Breathersystem.html

In the LO206 rules the carb must be vented into a catch can. If not into the same one as the valve cover then into a separate one for the carb only.

Bruce

If the hose from the carb is in the same catch can as the engine the pressure pulse from the valve cover will be applied to the carb and pressurize the float bowl.
The result is that the engine will run way too rich or not run at all.
If you have a huge vent in the catch can it may work but you are better off with a completely separate catch can.

In the LO206 rules the carb must be vented into a catch can. If not into the same one as the valve cover then into a separate one for the carb only.

Bruce

That is correct but too many aren't even putting the carb drain in a catch can. It is in the rules that this is a requirement. Do use a separate can or one with plenty of vents.

Never understood the point of having catch can on a LO206, on our 4th season with ours and never have had a drop of oil. But I know it's a rule, so must follow.

If I understand the OP correctly, it sounds like he has one of the WMS catch cans -- the top fitting is for your breather/filter, the side fitting is for your inlet line coming from the engine, the bottom hole is for the petcock / drain valve.

If there are additional fittings on the catch can, either plug them, or install additional filters on them. IF you have one of the older (oversized) catch cans, OR have one with PLENTY of ventilation, I'd have no problem venting the carb overflow tube to the same catch can as the valve cover breather -- BUT, if there's any doubt whatsoever, simply use two catch cans. You can use this to help diagnose a problem as well (ie sticking carb inlet needle will fill a catch can in no time.)

ALWAYS use a clean filter on your catch can to keep harmful dirt from getting back into your engine.

--
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cuts
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Back