LO206 Tips?

First download and completely read the rule set for whatever class you will run. That way you know what is applicable and what is not. Then I suggest you go back through all the pages on the 206 forum here and read everything you can about whatever area you want to start with. That is what I did and it is crazy how much good info is here. If you are new to karting I would suggest seat time and then more seat time. That will make way more of a difference than tuning and gearing will.

Download the WKC/AKRA rules from their website. I just looked briefly and it looks like if you are racing a 206, they follow Briggs rules. The also have classes that are mixed with other Briggs classes but the other classes have to carry more weight.
Yeah. I'll do that. I do Junior, so it's pretty much the same as the other classes but different slide and a 250 lb min weight.

First download and completely read the rule set for whatever class you will run. That way you know what is applicable and what is not. Then I suggest you go back through all the pages on the 206 forum here and read everything you can about whatever area you want to start with. That is what I did and it is crazy how much good info is here. If you are new to karting I would suggest seat time and then more seat time. That will make way more of a difference than tuning and gearing will.
Yeah, there is a ton of info here. Now, I don't have any track nearby, except for Summit Point, and I'm not alowed to practice out there. I do get about 75-90 mins on track each raceday. How can I practice?

If your running a CHT, can you remove the washer from the spark plug so your not doubling the space between your plug and the cylinder when the washer and and CHT are combined? Since the CHT ring itself essentually lifts the plug out anyway . . .

From the rule book:

30. Ignition System (Updated 12/14/20)

a. Unaltered B&S stock ignition part #555718 is mandatory. Only “GREEN” ignition module allowed. Maximum RPM: 6,150. Exception – Cadet Junior 206 class requires the use of unaltered B&S stock ignition part #555725 (BLACK in color). Maximum RPM: 4,150.

b. Coil or its position, other than air gap, may not be altered in any way. Coil mounting bolts must be stock and cannot be altered in any way to advance or retard timing. Attachment bolts and/or bolt holes may not be altered.

c. Spark plug: Only the AutoLite AR3910X spark plug UNALTERED in any way from the OEM (B&S service part number #84005196) is permitted. Spark plug must have the “AutoLite” and “AR3910X” identification on the insulator. NOTE: Technical Inspectors may, at their own discretion, at any time, visually inspect and retain a competitors spark plug and replace it with a new AutoLite AR3910X spark plug.

Sealing washer must be in place, unmodified from the factory.

Temperature thermocouple is permitted as long as sealing washer and/or cylinder heat shield with spark plug hole are not modified.

Yeah, there is a ton of info here. Now, I don't have any track nearby, except for Summit Point, and I'm not alowed to practice out there. I do get about 75-90 mins on track each raceday. How can I practice?
I'm not sure. At our track we buy a membership for the year and they allows us to practice anytime there is not a race going on. Others can pay a fee for the day. I should add that we race sprint so it may be different for dirt track. Hopefully you can find a place to practice because in my opinion there is no replacement for seat time.

From the rule book:

30. Ignition System (Updated 12/14/20)

a. Unaltered B&S stock ignition part #555718 is mandatory. Only “GREEN” ignition module allowed. Maximum RPM: 6,150. Exception – Cadet Junior 206 class requires the use of unaltered B&S stock ignition part #555725 (BLACK in color). Maximum RPM: 4,150.

b. Coil or its position, other than air gap, may not be altered in any way. Coil mounting bolts must be stock and cannot be altered in any way to advance or retard timing. Attachment bolts and/or bolt holes may not be altered.

c. Spark plug: Only the AutoLite AR3910X spark plug UNALTERED in any way from the OEM (B&S service part number #84005196) is permitted. Spark plug must have the “AutoLite” and “AR3910X” identification on the insulator. NOTE: Technical Inspectors may, at their own discretion, at any time, visually inspect and retain a competitors spark plug and replace it with a new AutoLite AR3910X spark plug.

Sealing washer must be in place, unmodified from the factory.

Temperature thermocouple is permitted as long as sealing washer and/or cylinder heat shield with spark plug hole are not modified.
Great get together. After warm-up (in your pit spaces of course) we all broke for lunch. After that, the drawing for finishing position and then we broke open the beer. Always good to get together with friends. There was some grumbling about the good old days of course, but this way sure eliminated the advantage all the clever people had. Freezing is way overrated.

Great get together. After warm-up (in your pit spaces of course) we all broke for lunch. After that, the drawing for finishing position and then we broke open the beer. Always good to get together with friends. There was some grumbling about the good old days of course, but this way sure eliminated the advantage all the clever people had. Freezing is way overrated.

What?

I like to think it makes the clever people work harder…

The days of open motors and thin rule books are gone. Innovation is not, though.

If your running a CHT, can you remove the washer from the spark plug so your not doubling the space between your plug and the cylinder when the washer and and CHT are combined? Since the CHT ring itself essentually lifts the plug out anyway . . .
Bzzz. Negative.
Derek already called this out from the rulebook, but it bears repeating so everyone else reading understands.
Be VERY careful reading through these rules. They are written pretty clearly (with occasional updates for clarification as necessary.)

https://www.briggsracing.com/sites/default/files/content/files/briggs-2021-206-rules_final.pdf

Al...I get the joke, BUT, there are blueprint classes for the folks who want to "build" their engines or play with camshaft design, port shape and volume, home=made E-tubes, controlled valve float, etc.
The L206 class was never intended to be that. It's always been intended to be plug-n-play. Pull it out of the box and go run it.
I think that's the popularity of the Predator engine (at least in it's purest form) on dirt ovals currently as well.
Some folks just aren't into paying top dollar for an engine builder to tweak every last ounce of power from their engine, and I get that mentality too.
Personally, I love the challenge of building all sorts of engines, from spec sealed engines to run-whatcha-brungs.

The L206 is so limited in what you can (and can't do) legally, that it makes you split hairs, both on the dyno and on the track.
The more restrictive the rule set is, the harder you have to work to find an advantage.
Innovation may be limited, but it is certainly not dead.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
32 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

I'm not sure. At our track we buy a membership for the year and they allows us to practice anytime there is not a race going on. Others can pay a fee for the day. I should add that we race sprint so it may be different for dirt track. Hopefully you can find a place to practice because in my opinion there is no replacement for seat time.
I do sprint to. BUt my track is a motorsports park/driving school with 3 tracks. It has events, but only for TaG 125's and Superkarts.

Download the WKC/AKRA rules from their website. I just looked briefly and it looks like if you are racing a 206, they follow Briggs rules. The also have classes that are mixed with other Briggs classes but the other classes have to carry more weight.
Yeah, I read through them. It was black senior slide for seniors and yellow for junior. 375 CIK, 375 for senior, 250 for junior, and 400 for the other one.

Back