LO206 Tips?

That was 3/4 HP ( not 3-4). Per Briggs 206 rules: "The addition of fuel additives in any manner is not permitted".

The 206 rules are extremely clear. If it doesn't say you can do ____, then cannot it! There is no silver bullet for 206. It's mission is to level the playing field and not let this stupidity win or lose the race.

Take a gallon of your lowest octane pump gas then add a quart of tap water and shake. The water will mix with the ethanol and settle to the bottom. Carefully pour the gas off the top. Probably won't go any faster but won't corrode your carb either.

Last edited:
Oh, yeah. I'm totally new, I was a bit confused when they said that in that other thread. Well, are there any legal tips I could use? Like a good carb setup? Sorry for the mix up.

That was 3/4 HP ( not 3-4). Per Briggs 206 rules: "The addition of fuel additives in any manner is not permitted".
Yeah, someone told me it was cheating, but that was for clones. I didn't know if it was for 206's.

Print out the rules , they are invaluable .
Carb set up seems to be the most helpful from what i read .
Float height adjustments equate to fuel mixture changes .
After a period of time valve seal starts too fail so a regrind is needed .
Proper maintenance , set up and driving lines all play in .

Reactions: GKP
Compression is the "Holy Grail". Buy a ""good"" compression gauge.

The difference between an EGT and the CHT is like the difference between night and day. In my opinion, the CHT tells you virtually nothing, the EGT tells you everything.

Tuning is tough!

Compression is the "Holy Grail". Buy a ""good"" compression gauge.

The difference between an EGT and the CHT is like the difference between night and day. In my opinion, the CHT tells you virtually nothing, the EGT tells you everything.

Tuning is tough!
None of this is really relevant to the 206.

The compression is what it is. You can't do anything to change it.

CHT is what it is, you can't so anything to change it.

Running EGT in an official session is illegal. Also, not a whole heck of a lot to do to change it, either.

The most important thing on a 206 is leak down through the valves.

None of this is really relevant to the 206.

The compression is what it is. You can't do anything to change it.

CHT is what it is, you can't so anything to change it.

Running EGT in an official session is illegal. Also, not a whole heck of a lot to do to change it, either.

The most important thing on a 206 is leak down through the valves.
Your viewpoint, like others, is always welcome. In the fact that your viewpoint is 180° to mind makes no difference, it's a viewpoint. I don't understand how you arrived at your viewpoint, but that makes no difference. It would be interesting to hear of all your testing using the compression gauge and the EGT, we can compare notes, because my experience is quite extensive.

Okay, I don't understand a thing about this engine. Can we start out with what gear I should run for a 2-2.2 mile track?

Your viewpoint, like others, is always welcome. In the fact that your viewpoint is 180° to mind makes no difference, it's a viewpoint. I don't understand how you arrived at your viewpoint, but that makes no difference. It would be interesting to hear of all your testing using the compression gauge and the EGT, we can compare notes, because my experience is quite extensive.

Okay first off Al, the compression check on an Lo206 is useless. You've never worked with one so I'm not surprised. There's a compression release on the cam. There's also no way to spin it fast enough to overcome that as the engine has a pull starter per rules. Second, the egt reading is useless as you can't change jetting so tell me what good does it really do if you can't jet up or down. You can change the float height and that's about it. There's such a narrow window on the float height that on track your not going to see much difference. All the cylinder head temp is for is make sure your not overheating the engine and locking it up.

Your "experience" is out dated and yes being on this site and seeing all this information is one thing. Having real experience with the stuff is where the reliable information comes from.

Okay first off Al, the compression check on an Lo206 is useless. You've never worked with one so I'm not surprised. There's a compression release on the cam. There's also no way to spin it fast enough to overcome that as the engine has a pull starter per rules. Second, the egt reading is useless as you can't change jetting so tell me what good does it really do if you can't jet up or down. You can change the float height and that's about it. There's such a narrow window on the float height that on track your not going to see much difference. All the cylinder head temp is for is make sure your not overheating the engine and locking it up.

Your "experience" is out dated and yes being on this site and seeing all this information is one thing. Having real experience with the stuff is where the reliable information comes from.
Wait, pull starters are required? Most people in my club took those off and used those other drill thingies.

Akra should follow Briggs rules if I'm not mistaken. Are they all run together and if so are those guys faster or does everyone stay together. If not they might be blueprinted or pro-gas animals.

I honestly don't know. It does follow the rules. When I said most people, I meant one person. And they aren't in my club. It was WKC/AKRA at the same track.

Download the WKC/AKRA rules from their website. I just looked briefly and it looks like if you are racing a 206, they follow Briggs rules. The also have classes that are mixed with other Briggs classes but the other classes have to carry more weight.

Last edited:
Back